(Solved) Engine not starting after fuel filter change

I went to change the fuel filter and now the car no longer starts. It has gas in the tank and the filter is faced the right way. Even tried with the old one and still nothing. Tried to jump the relay to get it primed then let it sit just in case I flooded it. Nothing. Any ideas or suggestions as to what could be wrong?

Yousuf,
Welcome to Jag-Lovers.
Are you certain that your fuel pump is working? The fuel pump is located in the trunk beneath the battery and near the fuel filter that you replaced. It is possible that you inadvertently disconnected one of the two wires going to the fuel pump while working back there.
The fuel pump should come on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition key to “ON”, and run continuously if you put the transmission shifter to “D” and turn the ignition key to “START”.
You should be able to hear the fuel pump running from the driver’s seat with the trunk open, but it may be necessary to have a helper listen for the fuel pump while you turn the ignition key. Please confirm that your fuel pump runs.

Paul

1 Like

Hi Paul!
I am definitely certain that the pump works. I can hear it turning on when I put the car in the on position. Also as mentioned before I jumped the relay and kept it on for a solid minute to try and build pressure. Still nothing

Yousuf,

1. Is there any chance that you’ve connected fuel pump other way around?

2. Have you disconnected the battery to perform fuel filter change?

3. If battery has been disconnected - have you got any alarm device that may need disarming after battery has been reconnected? (you may be not aware of it it the remote wasn’t woth you on purchase and alarm.unit has siren and indicators not connected)

4. What engine have you got there?

5. Open the bonnet reach to the key and turn into ignition position - look at the fuel hoses on your engine - can you see any movement caused by pressure buil-up

6. Give it few prime shots with ignition key, it will require some pumping, however hot-wiring the relay should resolve this.

6a. Which other areas apart from relay you’ve touched?

1. Check hoses in the boot - especially those coming out from sump tank - for kinking

Let us know about your findings.

There are no other options - unless you’re extremely unlucky…

The engine is turning over on the starter, but there’s no fire?

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried reversing the pump and came to the same conclusion. I did not disconnect the battery. I have the base 5.3l V12 I believe. I will try to see if there is any movement in the hoses in the front and check for kinks. Already tried to jump the relay it worked but the engine still wouldn’t start. Other than the relay I have not touched anything other than the filter. I will update you on Friday once I work on the car! Thanks again!

Yes, it turns over but refuses to actually start up. I’m assuming it has no fuel coming to it.

Run an OBE 2 or 1 diagnostic see if you get any codes

I’m relatively new to cars. Will anything show up even if there is no check engine light?

Yousuf, what year is the car?

It is a 1990 Base XJS

Suggest you confirm the injectors are clicking when you are cranking the engine.

Yousuf,
Your 1990 XJ-S does not have On Board Diagnostics (OBD) and there are no codes to read. Jaguar did not include OBD until the later facelift cars, I believe starting in 1992 but I could be wrong about that.
Jaguar produced the XJ-S/XJS from 1975-1996 with several engines, different transmissions, and a bewildering number of electrical systems changes. So it is always best to include your year and model in the subject line or body of the post in order to avoid confusion.

Paul

My bet is a kinked hose around the filter area. The hose that goes in the bottom of the pump is especially easily kinked, as it makes an acute bend where it attaches to the pump.

Thank you! I will check on that

Is it possible to edit the title now or no?

Tell me what you want the title to be and I can do it for you.

Well, I resolved the issue. after hours of looking around, I noticed it wasn’t pumping gas. Guess what. I had no gas, as apparently, the gauge doesn’t work. Thanks alot everybody for trying to help.

2 Likes

Also, make sure your fuel pump relay is back in (assuming you removed it before changing the filter, as recommended) correctly and is still working. :thinking: