Engine number two - that's more like it

Took a chance on a engine sourced on eBay from a recycler in Oregon. It’s a 1991 with undetermined miles but guessing around 90k based on the carfax data.
At some point the engine was dumped on its side, cracking the intake and the water pump. But I have all the goodies from my other engine to choose from so no biggie there.
Considering the condition - no obvious signs of leaks anywhere - and the fact it turned easily, it was very tempting to just leave the head off, but I had to know the condition of the gasket and it was easy to do.
I’m super-pleased with the results. The gasket was completely intact, no failures. Some pretty even carbon throughout, no corrosion of either head or block. I’m still taking the head in for inspection and valve job, but I think I have a winner.
I’m not going to open the bottom, though. The pan seal is good.
Block:

Head

Good girl for scale.

2 Likes

That one looks like a winner. You’ll have your car back on the road in no time.

JT …

OK, now that’s more like it. With your valves cleaned up it should run like new.

My perfection disease forced me to run each piston up to the top and clean and polish it (I had to keep busy for the 2 days the machine shop had my head :grinning:)

Now all you have to do is ask yourself what will be the hardest things to get to with the engine back in place and either clean or replace them.

Engine number two? Did I miss something? Did you buy another replacement engine that was also corroded like your original engine?

No no, this is the first replacement - so I’m calling it Engine Two.

Most of the goodies from Engine One are going to be placed on Engine Two, so they’re all getting brushed up and cleaned. All the hoses and gaskets are standing by. I’ve stripped down Engine One entirely except the bottom end. I could take the crank off and saved it but it would be messy and unnecessary. I’m thinking Engine One is destined for scrap. RIP Engine One.

JT …

“Engine One is destined for scrap” … NO WAY !

Now you’ve got the anchor so why not buy a nice boat to go with your super nice Jag.

Call me sentimental, call me stupid, I don’t care, scrapping anything OEM Jaguar seems like sacrilege. Turn that block into, I don’t know, an umbrella stand? A coffee table? The world’s heaviest and most unique 6-hole beverage holder? I fear Jaguar’s days are numbered so perhaps I am overreacting…

Send me your address and I’ll send it to ya… :joy:

The bastard hose would be first on the list.

Phew, good to know you didn’t buy a pile of scrap following our advice.

I would take your scrap engine as well. Shipping to Germany will be prohibitive though :rofl:

Cheers,
Harald

At least you will be able to get the updated replacement head gasket for the ‘always-prone’ oil leak at the right front cylinder head.
When I worked at the dealer we got several TSBs about a newer style gasket and then a newer-newer style and so on…

Might also want to check the valve stem seals??(replace while it’s out?)

1 Like

OK, I know when my bluff has been called…:astonished:

1 Like

JT …

Here’s what I used to clean up the top of my block …

I saw Ant Anstead use one on the Wheeler Dealer tv show and it really does works well.

1 Like