Engine Rebuild in San Diego or Best Alternative?

Looks interesting. How long did it take to rebuild your engine?

Thank you,

Bob

I used Westland Motors in Thousand Oaks, California. Ray Turner and especially his brother Steve Turner along with Colin, from England, have a small shop and only work on two cars at a time. They rebuilt my car in three weeks and have access to a trusted machine shop. These guys have 40 years in the business and were quite reasonable. They know XKE’s and British cars. At least get an estimate from them. It can’t hurt.

[quote=“Bob_Skolnick, post:1, topic:381387”]
and how much it will cost.
[/quote] 6-15 K is my guess. Depends on what it needs. I’d be tempted to go to one of the shops that have race experience, mildly port the head, put light rods in it, balance and port match, light flywheel. Mild cam boost. Just enough stuff to make it a happy rev er.

then again it depends on how fast you want to go.

Awesome - Thanks for reaching out!

Sounds great - Thanks Bill.

You are welcome. Hope it works out for you. Just had lunch with Steve Turner and Colin. They can do what ever you want. They asked me when I first met them whether I wanted a garage queen or a really good driver. I said good driver. I don’t regret that as my jag is a pleasure to drive, even though it is 1968 engineering.

Bob, Bill Terry at TT engines in Benton, Illinois does nothing but build engines. He known world over for his quality engines. He specializes in E-Type race engines but also does street cars as well. He built mine over 12,000 miles back and it runs fantastic. No oil leaks and so smooth you can’t feel it running in idle. You could never get a better engine overhaul. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. His number is 1-618-513-0385. Please tell him Dick recommended him.

I was traveling when this thread happened so late with my input. I just put another 4,700 miles in 22 days on the engine Dick Maury rebuilt for me in 2015.

Yeah, it sounds extreme to ship the engine to Atlanta but really pretty easy and the shipping cost is not a big expense in the E-Type realm (from Tucson, 300 bucks each way as I recall).

Dick told me how long it would take and met that date. He sent me photos and kept me up to date all along the way.

Coventry West - https://www.coventrywest.com/about-us

2 Likes

John Edward’s of Costa Mesa R&D passed away about 2 years ago.

Thanks for the referral. I will check him out when I get the car back from the body shop.