Engine removal hrs hypothetical

Lets say i want to remove the S1 engine …its all striped down of all accessories etc and ready to go except for engine mounts , stabilizer, rear mount…how many hrs do you suppose it would take to R/R ?

And you have all the skilled , experienced manpower/facilities to do it .

Asking for a friend, I assume? :wink:

If the manifolds are off, all ancillaries disconnected, you’ve got a lift, and a couple of competent wrench turners, removal should be doable inside 2 hours if all goes well…assuming the engine is coming out through the bottom.

If you find a couple of frozen bolts, or other unforeseen obstacles, 3-4 hours seems like plenty of time.

I see you mention ‘R&R’ in your post, but ‘Removal’ in your thread title. ‘R&R’ stands for Remove & Replace…what’s the scope of work being done?

Does the ‘etc’ include the torque reaction plate?

Too many variables to say

I personally would allow at least one day to remove and one to replace, working at an old mans pace, with virtually no assistance

If I was a super-fit and in a hurry with a couple of good assistants, I would say less than half that

that is from breaking out the tools, to having them put away, (not a S1 E-type, but other Jags)

When I was young and eager, I could have an E Type engine out in 5 hours.

I never want to work that hard again.

We charge 20 hours for engine remove and replace.

There is inevitably fiddling with radiator hoses and clamps etc, putting the carbs back on, testing for leaks etc etc and it all just adds up.

2 Likes

the assumption here is that All ancillaries have already been removed…

reaction bar still in place

I am closing in on 26,280 hours.

3 Likes

That’s was what a shop in Houston charged me for for the clutch replacement on the 2+2.

As to the OP’s question Given the state he says it’s in and assuming he has all the tools and equipment necessary and there are no surprises, I’d say 5-6 hours out and the same in.

Pete said “its all striped down of all accessories etc and ready to go except for engine mounts , stabilizer, rear mount” So I assume that means bonnet already off, manifolds off, radiator out, everything connected to the engine out of the way and reaction plate removed.

I believe Pete stated the reaction plate is still in place. Removing it would add time especially if being removed for the first time.

Back in always takes longer: overall, I too charged 20 hours for a clutch job, on an E.

Yes, I see that now in his follow up post. That will increase the amount of time required.

If the reaction plate is in place that adds an hour for me on a stranger’s car, just 30 minutes on my car.

With room to work, proper lighting and lifting equipment, jack, and stands, and no surprises like boogered bolts, I’d have the lump on the ground on the side of the car in 2 hours, 2.5 max.

This presumes the interior is already stripped, gearbox exposed and shaft detached. Add another hour if not.