Engine running slightly fast at tickover

Hi. I had my first run out of the year today in my 4 litre Celebration. It has the AJ16 engine and all was well except that the tickover/idle was a little fast at traffic lights etc. A blip on the throttle would slow it to normal but it would stick again at the next stop.
Back home and in the garage I could turn the throttle wheel where it meets the cruise control bellows and the return spring seems strong. However I gave the whole area a good clean with brake cleaner then re lubed with spray on oil etc and worked it in well. It all spins easily but there is a point just before the end of its return travel where it needs a tiny bit of help. Could it be the butterfly sticking on the throttle body wall or have I just not given the cleaner/lube long enough. The last time I cleaned the throttle body I remember not being able to squirt the stuff in while the engine was running because it wouldnt run with the aircleaner and pipe work off.
Im grateful for any help.
Cheers. Richard (Jackdog1)

Have you ever removed the throttle body to do a thorough clean?
It sounds like you have a build up of crud in there.
Its not too hard a job to do but you will need 1/4” drive sockets, extension and a universal joint to do it.

Hi Robin. Thanks for your reply and advice.
No I have never actually removed the throttle body only attempted to clean the barrel wall from the air intake side with all the rubber wear removed. I remember at the time finding that the last person to do that had not replaced the air hose correctly kinking it at the bottom and replacing the jubillee clip simply over the kink and tightening it up. I would feel confident about doing that job again but I have a back problem which has worsened over the years making much of the DIY I used to do on the car almost impossible these days, especially where leaning or bending over the car for a long time is concerned. Would it be a good idea to get it done professionally or would it take them hours and cost accordingly do you think.
Many thanks. Richard.

bob

That’s one approach, I can appreciate the back pain, I’m getting to that stage where bending over for any length of time starts to aggravate it.
I take it there’s no one younger in the family to do the work under instruction?
Its been a long time since I did my ‘40 but I would reckon on about 3 hours to r&r.

Hi and thanks for the help and advice.
Cheers. Richard.

My back is far from what it should be. But working at waist level or just above is still tolerable.

The last two under the bonnet jobs I did went well. I reduced the back bend angle by raising the front of the cars. I used my ramps.
Remembering to chock the back wheels and not rely on the ark brake and P on the transmission. Do not ask !!!

Carl

Hi. An update on my tickover problem is that my work on the throttle with cleaner and oil etc must have taken effect over a couple of weeks! The last time out all was well and no sign of the high tickover whilst srationary as before.
Just a footnote. I have owned this wonderful 4 litre 95 Celebration for 9 years now and over that time I have gradually fixed/had fixed or replaced everything that was wrong or may soon go wrong on it. It has everything that it could have had when new and nothing that could be considered incorrect apart from two rectangular Ring spot lights mounted on the flat panel 6 inches behind the black grill and in front of the coolant radiator hidden from view in the manner of the blue lights that unmarked Police cars have. Like those you dont see them until they are on which is when full beam is in operation at which time they certainly help the headlights illumination or politely let an oncoming driver, who may be blinding me, know that he hasnt bothered to dip his own headlights by a very quick pull on the flasher lever!
My car is comfortable and so quiet that I can hear the stereo at a quarter volume while travelling at 70 mph. Something I find impossible in any if my more modern cars! By the way my original sound system and CD changer (extremely rare for this model) is safely packed away and I use a period Sony with 10 stacker and tape deck most if the time as I have to admit the sound is better than the Jaguar/Alpine unit although it doesnt look as good.
To conclude I drive with a stupid smile on my face and any journey is an occasion and an absolute pleasure.
Cheers. Richard. (Jackdog1)