Engine stand , to move and store Engine!

I had to move a XK Engine , pick up and drop off in a van , knowing that the sump is not flat on most XK Engines , I knocked up a stand for the engine to sit on , as we moved it about , stand was held to the engine with 2 ratche straps , saves the sump and the engine was very stable !

1 Like

I guess I kind of went a bit overboard.

So you go and buy a engine , you take a engine lift with you , lift it up , bolt the engine to the frame , then load it in a van , hmm don’t sound very simple to me lol

Hahaha, I missed the load it in the van piece in the original posting. :slight_smile: Nope mine is definitely a “once you get it home opinion”.

Nice, may I make one suggestion. Run a lag bolt through the holes in the engine mount brackets into the stack of 4" X 4"s on each side. That would keep them from potentially spreading at the top. Or a threaded rod from one side to the other just ahead of the crank pulley would do the same thing.

Would also keep the engine from floating away. :sunglasses:

I thought about that, but the contact between the mount brackets is straight down so there is no spreading force (the edge rests on the galv. plates and gravity goes more or less straight down) AND the rear flange brackets rest on the rear ledge, so there’s no tilt moment (at least at rest).

And… each time I’ve transported it in a van I’ve had a ratchet strap around it. (a couple, in fact).

It’s been that way for close to a decade… do you think I should be worried about dry rot?

Think your safe Andrew , Jaguar Engines are safe from dry rot :yum:

1 Like

:smile: Looked pretty new to me, I thought you’d just made it. I do like the racing stripe.

Personally, I’d have sanded, stained and urethaned the wood bits. :smiling_imp:

@Andrew_Waugh – can you send me the dimensions of the support you made? Specifically 1) the height of the wood blocks that the motor mounts sit on, 2) the width between where the motor mounts sit, 3) the dimensions from where the motor mounts sit to the leading edge of the rear block and 4) the height of the rear block. This would be super helpful! Looks like a nice design and provides for some fore/aft latitude.

My engine is nearing completion and my logistical challenge is getting the engine back to my shop. I have a flatbed trailer to put it on and can easily fashion a holding device if I have dimensions. Looking forward to having this home. Just a few more bits to install.

I just kind of whipped it together quickly with off the shelf stuff from the local building center. Judging by these two photos:

and

the wood is 80x80mm.

I’ll try and take some measurements next time I’m there.