Engine Ticking Noise

Hi All,

I have started to hear a slight engine ticking noise from the left bank of the engine, it only occurs when the engine is at operating temperature. The ticking is rpm sensitive, faster with high rpm but not louder. The XK8 is a 2004 with 20,800 miles. Are the valves adjustable? Manual? Hydraulic? Any ideas?

Thank you,

Tom

Hi Tom,given the low mileage of your Xk8 it probably spent a lot of time not being used,probably something sticking in the valve train as a result.I would try changing the oil,drive the car for a couple of days,then change the oil again.This has worked for me on a couple cars over the years.

Regards Gerry 62 E type Ots.

Thank you Jerry great idea :smiley:

Tom,
I had a similar situation a couple of years ago on my 02. It turned out to be a loose secondary timing chain tensioner. Prior to removing the cam cover to diagnose and fix the problem, the ticking noise was easy to identify and locate at the forward end of the cam shafts on the right side. If you think your noise is coming from the top end, you may want to remove the cover on that side and take a look. You should have the latest metal bodied version of the secondary chain tensioners in your 04 so failure of the tensioner itself is unlikely. Having one come loose should be a rare event as well but it did happen to me. Fortunately I caught it before it was too late. The loss and malfunction of the secondary chain tensioners will ruin your day and you engine.

Thank you Bob. I will look into it.

Tom

Hi All,

Ticking noise solved. TSB#303-62A specifys the installation of a insulated blanket wrap around the cannister purge solenoid which is behind the left wheel inner fender cover. This noise sounded dead on like a bad lifter. Performing the TSB insulates the “ticking” purge cannister relay from allowing the sound to escape its enclosure. Wow, dodge a bullet on that one. Part #C2N3564 $12.00.
Tom TSB at Jaguarrepairinfo.com

Correct TSB site is jagrepair.com. Parts obtained from Terrysjaguar.com ask for vicky or buzz.

Tom