ENV crown wheel and pinion

Hi I’ve an early XK120 660123. The ENV rear diff has been inspected and crown wheel and pinion are in need of being replaced… Does anyone know of means of finding one or manufacturing one ??

thanks

I do have a complete ENV rear end from a 4 speed '51 MK7,
but I believe the gear ratio would be numerically higher than XK120

I will check my references later

There is a member on here who knows a lot about the older rear ends, @Mike Spoelker

cant seem to get his name to highlight, but he may be able to help

thanks. I’ve sent Mike_S a message. thanks

Possibly try contacting an Eaton Axle distributor. They may be able to identify your gear set.

I dont know much about the ENV stuff

I do know if it was a Salisbury the answer would be dead simple.
Install Dana 44 parts

Dont know if Dana 44 parts will work in an ENV, presumably not ?

I have seen on Youtube the process of shortening axles and housings,
usually for 4wd uses.

The process varied, some I saw I did not like, such as cutting the axle and welding it together, others bored out the hub and did the weld there, which seemed much better

Keeping the shortened tube straight while welding also needed great care

I havent got around to deciding what to do with my 2 x MK7 rear ends, one an ENV and one a Salisbury.

I believe the ratios are in the 4s, so the internal gear sets would not normally be useful to a XK owner (unless they had a 5 speed GB)

Are new XK axles available ?

Is there a Carrier “break” ratio, where gears above or below a set ratio require a different carrier ?

thanks I will contact eaton axle. Looks like I may have found one in the UK !!

thanks Tony… I’m trying to keep the car as original as possible and it seem like I’ve located a crown plate and pinion in England. Just a matter of paying the VAT and freight !!!

cheers

Probably still much cheaper than having a new set made at around £2000…
BTW Nick, it would be useful to know your axle stamped numbers on the top of the diff nose, if I haven’t already got them.

Here’s the thing that makes gear sets difficult (or possible) to swap amongst housings. Look at dimension A, the pinion drop. That’s the vertical distance between the horizontal centerline of the ring or crown gear and the centerline of the axis of rotation of the pinion. If that dimension is the same for the two things you would like to comingle, then you may have a shot. If the the two have different drop dimensions, you are dead in the water, no way to make that work. But if they are the same, things can get interesting. Rock crawler people covet the gear sets out of Nissan and Isuzu trucks for their more robust pinion diameters. With a modified set of pinion bearings, the big pinion metric Spicer gears can be stuffed into a Jeep axle housing.

Salisbury axle data-1.pdf (512.3 KB)

thanks mike for the axle data info. Very interesting. I agree that being a hypoid pinion and crwon plate makes it very difficult to use another type of gear set. I’m going to find out whether I can get the original parts re worked or I have now found a replacement in the UK !

Hi Mike,

Presumably there is no way of fitting Dana parts inside an ENV axle housing,
if I remember they dont have the same ratios ?

I have Jeeps and have a Dana 30 diff apart atm

I had an old Jag Salisbury diff pumpkin, and knocked out the knackered old bearings to retrieve the shims, which are very handy to have plenty on hand when setting up a diff, and can be a bit hard & expensive to get when you need them out her in Ozland, can be used on Jags or Jeeps or anything with various Dana diffs

The ratio is irrelevant. It’s all about the geometry. If the drop is not the same, the two gears cannot intermesh. You can probably get a 4.56 gear set for every Dana axle ever made, but the drop in a Dana 30 is not the same as what is found in a Dana 70. Dana 30 ring gear is 7-1/8", Dana 70 is 10-1/2".

Thanks Mike,

I should have been more specific in asking whether a Dana 44 gearset can be placed in an ENV housing, the same as a 4HA which has the same drop distance of 2.625" (from memory) as the D44 pinion

I do not know anything about the internal dimensions of the ENV, just curious to learn as I have a complete ENV rear end

I know tolerance is critical to a few thou, and shims can only be used for minor adjustments

I know that some minor mods are needed to swap Dana 44 and Salisbury gearsets and I have test fitted them myself

This is the ENV axle. I can’t imagine that Salisbury Dana parts are going to fit it.

I’ve been looking for ENV and Eaton axles and the closest I have found is called the Dodge 8 3/4 used about 1968-70.

Also called Mopar 8.75CS489

And here is one from a 55-64 Chevy Impala.

It might also be called a GM 25.

They seem to have been made by Yukon Gear, Detroit Gear, and Buffalo Gear.

Volvo may have used an ENV axle in the PV544 & P120 models.

Maybe you should take your parts to a rear axle shop and see if they recognize them.

2 Likes