Equal length E\exhaust manifolds

WIGS , thats not Technically true at all!
it is actually true 1918 .
ron

Think it was 56-57 ish. I’d have to check. They were mostly Jag powered (D-Type dry sump 6 cyl) but there was a small number of Chevrolet. When they set out to build a fresh batch of cars they wanted a few to be V8s again. A guy contacted me to be his eyes and ears over here for the correct early engine parts but I declined due to lack of knowledge.

1 Like

OK Pete, got it! thanks for interest!
ron

No idea, really. It was a great big Caddy engine, though, like close to 500 ci. And yeah, safe bet it was an old beater T’bird by the time he started this project.

Speaking to the title of the post, and not to the question of the sound, I thought I’d steal a few pics from some very very very talented folks on two sides of the ocean. One who’s made the most perfect beautiful set of within 1.5inch of each other headers that actually FIT the Jag V12 engine bay (with some small modifications), and the other who’s used CAD software to replicate the Group A equal length cast iron exhaust manifolds for a TWR tribute car.

First, frome one of the most talented XJS hobbyist I know in the States, Robert’s one-off, probably never to be repeated, labor of love:

Using every square millimeter of space:

And from the other side of the Ocean, work by Ole Mobek, et al.

And finally, what the standard fare typically looks like:

~Paul K.

3 Likes

“Equal-length headers and inlet runners are designed that way so that all cylinders achieve the maximum extraction and/or resonance benefits simultaneously.”

“High states of tune tend to result in maximum performance being available across a narrower part of the rev band.”

“Constructing an engine with highly-tuned but deliberately different runner and header lengths would result in a sequence of power peaks by cylinder, and result in a broader and more street-able power band without the complexity of variable, valve timing or variable inlet or exhaust control.”

Discuss…

1 Like

Thank you very much for this info and pictures!! For now all I don’t mind not making more power I just want to make some headers for fun/sound. I would like to try and make equal length shorty headers like the cast TWR replicas. I’m not shy of welding as I attended a trades school after high school that specialized in teaching TIG welding tubing for roll cages and TIG welding aluminum. There is a CAD program called Bendtech it is mainly used for designing rollcages and tube chassis race cars and trucks but I believe that they also have a function specifically for header design, if they don’t i’ll just try to figure out how to do it Fusion360. I’ll be sure to post in my build thread if/when I get started.

1 Like

Software you are looking for is called Pipemax…

Good to know I’ll take a look at that.

Paul:

Great pix of the headers and manifolds.

A while back, I found a boat that had a very unusual header design, I have included pix here. The feed of 12 into 3 is unconventional, and the each trumpet is fed from both banks (!). Look carefully to see the cylinder numbers that go to which trumpet. Story goes that this gave very good power, and that one of the Jag racing teams looked at it for use on the road cars. Said to give a sound not unlike the wondrous wail of a Matra (see pix), here in a 6 into 3 per side configuration.

Would be a trick, but then, RonBros has his 12 into 1 setup, so, I wonder how he did the pipes under the engine from the B bank.
Boat_Jaguar_1
Boat_Jaguar_2

2 Likes