Etype cigar lighters

This is mine from a 1967 S1 OTS. As far as I know, the original.

Dave

2 Likes

So, the conically-shaped one is an S1, and the mushroom-shaped one is S2/S3, correct?

1 Like

As I currently understand it the mushroom shaped lighter came in with the padded radio console front starting with the Series 1.5/rocker switches.

2 Likes

'66 S1 original

2 Likes

This is the cigar lighter that came with my ‘68 OTS when I bought it in ‘82. It’s a Casco, but obviously not correct.

Care to part with one of those, Wiggs?

1 Like

PM sent…

1 Like

If anyone has the part you plug in for that year of car, I would be interested.

You mean the socket, into which the lighter goes? Got one!

anybody have a series 1 cig lighter they want to part with? plz messasge me.
ed

Series 3 1973 lighter , very likely original, no reference to brand

E Types were delivered with a Casco brand lighter.

Just checked my 66 FHC and it’s a Casco which I believe is original (been on blocks for 30 yrs).

One on ebay at the mo for S1.

thank you for lead.

For context cars produced up to August 1961 used a Smiths Motor Accessories thermostatic cigar lighter, Smiths part EL.2414/00, Jaguar part C.16079. This used a Bakelite knob with Smiths MA (motor accessories) moulded in and screw fitted onto the element allowing different knobs to be fitted to suit different manufacturers. It was held in place with a U shaped metal bracket and was a similar unit fitted to the XK’s and saloons. In August 1961 the assembly was modified with the addition of an earth lead and fitted to cars #850092/860005/875386/885021 onwards.

From September 1961 - cars #850169/860010/875590/885051 on - a new type of thermostatic lighter was fitted as part C.18638 (Casco-Tex L.15094 - 12V). This had a smaller diameter than the Smiths version so was not compatible with the earlier cars. it was held in place by a screw on metal sheath.

It was originally made and designed by the Casco Products Corporation (founded in 1921) a major USA supplier of windscreen wipers, interior mirrors and other accessories based on a patent held by Lawrence Edward Fenn. I found this to be odd as Sir William Lyons staunchly supported British products, preferably those produced in and around Coventry. After a bit of research it turned out that Casco entered the British accessory market in 1947 and used Magnatex Ltd as a manufacturer and distributor for their patented products under the Casco-Tex brand. The thermo-plastic knob was again removable so the lighter could be customised to any vehicle. Beneath the knob was a bevelled chrome spacer.

Jaguar cheaped out on the Casco-Tex lighters as they did not choose to fit the deluxe version with internal lighting as was fitted to many family saloons:

If you can find an illuminated one it would be a nice ‘upgrade’ to do!

David

1 Like