Etype Hardtop history

My favorite combo :OTS with a hard top. Beautiful !

I was told that originally the rear window was not glass.

What would be a fair market value for a complete unrestored one now days ?

Marco

Thanks for all great comments and pictures :smile: but anyone know when the hardtop was actually offered by Jag? It seems like it can be used on any etype (series 1-3).

Here is what I did for my hardtop storage.

2 Likes

The series 3 cars are long wheelbase cars and the hardtop for them is different than Series 1-2.

I’ve never seen a glass one. Mine was originally a S2 top and it has a Perspex rear window. The most I’d pay for a complete top requiring restoration is 2k, maybe 2.5k. SNG is now producing very convincing reproductions with all original style chrome trim. I think they’re around 6k.

1 Like

so your garage door opens up underneath the top storage shelf? How do you lower it down onto the car?

Even though I personally like the looks of the FHC best it looks like the OTS with the hard top was the best configuration for racing since the most successful Lightweights back in the day and even today are that configuration. If you are looking for history about the hard top you might read some about the history of the Lightweights. If you get a hard top make sure to get that block of wood to old the boot lid slightly open too for the extra aerodynamic benefits.

David
68 E-type FHC

Look to the left of the top. There are two black nylon ropes that run through the pulleys and are tied off at the wall. I have found that one can lower the top onto the car, alone, pretty quickly. Taking it off requires two people. Don’t ask how I know that.

The perspective of the photo is a bit off. The garage door stops before the top actually. All this for about 50 bucks

Ah, now I see. The image is flattened a bit so it looked like the top rested over the door. So do you lower it down till it’s close then knock the rear bar out to release the back, then do the same for the front? It’s a bargain for 50 bucks. The purpose built ones are like 400 and the one I’ve seen that was designed specifically for an E is like 600 (jaguar tax)

You are correct. You could not do the reverse of the install while in the car. Well, you can, but with one slip up, you scratch the paintwork (arggh). The pulleys are simple bicycle hangars from harbor freight. I also have safety ropes clipped to the two interior brackets via a carabiner (i’m about a mile from the san andreas fault).

I too had my top in the living room for a time. I was gently encouraged to devise some way to store it elsewhere…

2 Likes

Lol!!! :joy::joy::rofl:

Thanks, I think I’m in the market.

Marco

The rear window was never glass, always perspex. When I got mine it was a bit hazy so I buffed it out to clear. Erica’s estimate sounds about right to me on what an unrestored original might fetch if you’re in the right place at the right time. They were offered as original equipment from the get-go but they’re not common.

I don’t see the third stop light you retrofitted but , if I had a hard top, I would consider permanently installing one on the top or bottom of the rear window…

Still thinking about selling it ? :wink:

Marco

I prefer reversible modifications, Marco, this one for the third brake light:

I sometimes consider selling the hardtop when it goes from being a useful thing on the car to a pain in the ass thing off the car, but then I put it back on the car and enjoy the coupe-like comfort and aesthetic and decide I like it, until I take it off again. I guess I’ll keep it.

1 Like

Totally understand Nick, plus I agree with you on the reversibility of modifications !

Yes, I recall the video, nice. That it where I first seen your modification.

Marco

Thanks for the inspiration Mark - put my new aftermarket top up on the ceiling today using your hoist as model. Its been sitting on the car since I bought it on sale, now I can get back to putting the car together and rebuilt engine in. The hard top will need some trimming of brackets and rubber, Ill get to it in the fall.

This solution worked for my Miata. But it was a two person job to get the thing on the pegs.

Hi John,
A little off subject, but anyway. I like the colour and isn’t that just the sweatest little sports car ever?
I used to have a Baboon Ball Blue ‘Series 1’ like that and later a red ‘Series II’ and just loved them. Many years ago, I had the privilege to go for a spin in the real McCoy, a Lotus Elan.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

It’s a 1995 M Edition. Color is Merlot Mica, IIRC. Each year Mazda made 3,000 or so M editions all the same color all with every option as standard except the hardtop and an automatic. 95 was the only year they put in seats with separate headrests. We loved the car but it was slightly too small for the extended road trips we planned to take upon retirement.