Etype photos - post some of your favorites!

The seasons come… The seasons go…

1 Like

I drove my E into the first week of December last year. Will do the same this year, or until there’s salt on the roads.

3 Likes

Yes, very fitting! Love some of the great music you’ve posted on JL Paul!

I will drive it as long as I can Nick, for sure, but, going on a weeks vacation and they’re calling for nothing but rain, long range! No salt and a dry road and I may still get out! I can’t seem to get enough of this car!

1 Like

Glad you enjoy!

I try to see things in music: Jags make symphonies!

1 Like

No need to be unhappy. I just put the XJ6 away for the winter. And registered the XJ12 :crazy_face: for the winter. It is my old car that a lorry crashed into. A friend repaired it (not quite finished yet, ugly but drivable) and then sold it back to me.
The S-Max is sold and I am waiting for a new one. So I needed a car :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I learned to fly on the DH Chipmunk, based at Yeadon Airfield near Leeds, W Yorkshire.
Yes, it was a lovely aircraft to learn on, loved it to bits, and the canopy never rattled that I remember, to add to a later comment on this thread.
And further on in my career I flew the DH Heron, DC3/C47, the Avro 748 and …the Comet!
But those Comets were the 4 series, not the tragic Comet 1’s that the BOAC picture shows.

1 Like

Sorry Guys, I really don’t know how my post landed up here!

1 Like

How were the Comets to fly ? One of my favorite airplanes. When I was young I dreamed of getting to someplace Dan-Air flew them so I could ride in one, but it never worked out. Several years ago a Nimrod put on a demonstration at the Houston Air Show. I was quite impressed with the maneuvers they put it through.

David
68 E-type FHC

Beautiful flying characteristics, a stable platform very much over powered which, of course, presented no problems during an engine failure on take off! Yaw was minimal and the aircraft was simply flown through the SID (standard instrument departure) as if on four engines, no need for emergency turns to cater for lost performance, as there was none!
The aircraft was very nice to fly an accurate ILS approach or radar approach ‘on instruments’ i.e. no autopilot.
The only negative part that I remember is the rain shower that all members of the cockpit had to endure during the first half of the descent, due to all the ice that had accumulated on the inside of the fuselage shell melting and being thrown forward by the air conditioning/pressurisation!
We all wore bin bags for the first fifteen minutes!

1 Like

Here are some pics I took of the Comet at the museum at Paine Field in Everett WA and the fuselage at the DeHavilland Museum outside of London. (the E-type of jet airliners)

At Paine Field in 2008

Flight deck at DeHavilland museum

David
68 E-type FHC

2 Likes

So a coupe and a 2+2 !:joy::joy:

1 Like

I owned a lovely Chipmunk for about 4 years, WP797. It’s the nicest flying airplane I’ve ever flown. Here’s a photo from a pilot that trained in it. I think the photo is from the 1960’ but I’m not sure.

1 Like

I thought the Topic was Etype photos. It’s now been 13 posts since we’ve seen anything like a photo of an E-Type. To avoid being guilty of making it 14 I attach a photo of Earl after a quick wash and wax after the 1700 mile Santa Fe trip:

16 Likes

Thank you, David. …

I would love to see some photos of the headlight structure inside the bonnet. I am curious as to how it was done.

Golly, thanks for getting us all on track again!

Thread drift, in a 1800+ post is just awful:grin:

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from [Etype photos - post some of your favorites!](https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/etype-photos-post-some-

of-your-favorites/350594):
I
Wow David, I’ve never seen a quad headlight e-type before!
The mod must have been quite extensive, did you do it?o

3 Likes

Good looking car. I don’t know why they had to spoil the Series 3 with that grill & surround.

How cool would that look with plexiglass light covers alla Ferrari 360.

https://images.app.goo.gl/LzKt1rrYwY6jSZFe9