Etype photos - post some of your favorites!

Maybe earlier?

Yes, the red pre-production test car which, interestingly, had inside bonnet locks. There is a photo of it on the test track oval with Norman driving it. However that car was RHD, so your photo was flipped at some point I believe:

David, Thanks for the explanation of the above photo. My mirror image copy came from a 1961 Car & Driver article. I had wondered why the car looked different in this photo. Now I realize the photo must have been in a press kit supplied by Jaguar. Tom

The photo must have been for the US market :slight_smile:
pauls

Hi,

Many of those photos have feen flipped before, like the NY Autoshow 1961 photo, very easy those days to have the negative facing the wrong side up.

I think too that car to be 850002.

http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=850002

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 1S20183
Fin.

From another angle - shot at Browns Lane obviously:

Curious about those bonnet locks. Unlikely to be what the later cars had must have had a one off latch of some kind. Interesting anyway.
pauls

Looks like the chrome strips around the headlights isn’t …chrome.

-David

Bonnet locks were as seen on the later cars (I have a photo somewhere). All OBL cars had the bulkhead holes for the internal bonnet locks but it looks like they could not get them made in time so went with the tried and trusted budget locks as used on the rear spats of the saloon’s.

The prototype car had rubber around the headlamp cowls until they decided to fit the (not entirely successfull IMHO) chrome trims.

David

Early? E1A prototype.

Thanks David! Geeze you’d have thought they’d have had some prototype
latches they could have used.
pauls

Here you go, colour photos and one of the bonnet lock taken Feb/March 1961:

Note other features such as black centre instrument console, outward angle on window winder, no chrome trim at base of screen and extra dials for testing.

Thanks David!!! After all these years its fascinating to get a window
back to the way it really was. Don’t suppose there are many left but wish
there was contact with folks that were on the line in the day. Norman
looks a little younger :slight_smile:
pauls

If I was to title this one it would be “slip of the bra”.

Well. That’s just about enough from me tonight. I think I’ll just find my birth certificate to remind myself how old I am.

1 Like

I hesitate to post this after Nick’s but I’m experimenting with how to post pictures and it seems to be very awkward with my mac. Likely how I’m using it. This is from the CCol last year IIRC, we were finding it very difficult to find a place to park so I moved the construction sign just a ‘hair’.
Cheers,
LLynn

Today that would be known as a “Car Cover malfunction”. :laughing:

Looks good LLynn, they obviously put their construction sign in the wrong place!!!
pauls

For a second there thought it was my car in the picture.

Thank you Paul, it was a little hard to relax at the restaurant knowing that I had parked in a construction zone :wink:

Hi Nick, a little dirty compared to yours…

Cheers,
LLynn

But well-used! Note the Blowviator (eat your heart out, OTS owners) and the cute chick.

Jerry

1 Like