Evaporator motor help

I had a bad motor on my evaporator, so I ordered what I thought was a replacement. (Dayton 3LCHS). Problem is that my original squirrel cage is set up for a 5/16” shaft (Dayton is 1/4”) and the Dayton motor shaft is too short (I need it to be 2.5”). The casing is also too wide. I believe people have used the heater blower motor and ac evaporator motor for the same application, but mine is a no go. Any ideas? Any good electric motor websites that I can go through and figure something out? Thanks

I found this motor on Amazon. Looks to be an exact match. Hope this may help someone.

Four Seasons/Trumark 35577 Blower Motor without Wheel Amazon.com

Does this four Seasons motor work for just for the A/C evaporator on whichever Series of Jag you guys are discussing or is it a universal fit for any Series E-Type
Craig
PS - mine is a Series III OTS with factory A/C; may need a replacement evaporator motor // may not
PPS - and do I read this correctly - this motor may also work for the heater blower??

This is the same motor that several of us (myself and @John_Walker for sure) have used for the heater blower. In my experience it’s still pretty weak, but a bit better than the original and doesn’t require any irreversible mods to be made. Here’s a thread on it: The Fan Sequel, This Time It's the Heater

1 Like

I still have some brand new 5/16" shaft motors free for postage. PM me if interested, let me know how many you want.

BTW, you don’t have a stock setup. The original motor had a 1/4" shaft, 1.25" long. It was ventilated front and back. The stock blower wheel was 7.25x2.25. Here are some photos of what it should look like:

Interesting. Here was my setup. The squirrel cage is 3.5” deep and made of metal. Not orig btw.

I guess I’m confused how the original setup draws the air into the evap. Through the small holes on the motor mounting plate? Seems constricting. I’m thinking like the house ac, your output is only as good as your input. If I really want to supercharge it, I can go with a 4” diameter motor and mock up some kind of holder ring on the lathe and weld some mounting feet on it.

Air is drawn in from the passenger footwell through the round section of the lower half of the evaporator case. It’s then exhausted through the evaporator coil and out the directional vents.

In this picture of the upside down disassembled case you can see the circular section with the screen where the air is drawn in.

On my car the motor is enclosed in a plastic case and has a flat metal duct that directs some of the cooled air into that plastic case to cool the fan motor.

In this not so great picture you can see the duct that runs from just behind the front fascia of the evaporator case to the plastic case the motor is in.

My 69 2+2 with AC didn’t have the case around the motor and it was built three weeks before my FHC which does have it.

Two possibilities:

1. Some cars had and some didn’t have the case around the motor, or more likely,

2. At some point during service a P.O. decided the case was unnecessary and ditched it.