Exhaust gasket replacement

I have a noisy leak between one of the exhaust manifolds and the downpipe.
I ordered a new one, and got 5 or 6 in a plastic bag.
Is one enough, or should I use several to try snd match the height of the downpipe, or how

does it work?

One is enough. The down pipe will pull up to meet the manifold.
Be cautious removing the nuts, as the studs have been known to break.

Or, if the studs are too long you could always use brass pipe thread adapters as spacers, like the DPO did.

I’m hoping there are donuts in there, since there certainly aren’t any sandwich gaskets.

Donuts….?
Where and look like??

He means the E-Type style.

You want this.

Peder, I think I have seals like that at home if you are in urgent need. If I understand correctly your place is only 1H drive from me outside Lund.
Br

That is a really pretty car you have

Thank you.

So one of these then!?
I drove it this morning. Will change the gasket one of these days with a cold engine.
I spend most of my time in Stockholm, with a garage for this one and the Mk9. All the others are at my summer house, 350 miles south, an hour N of Lund/Malmoe

If you’re using a single exhaust you could have a problem with how the two were welded. On one I recently tried to use (Bell) the two flat surfaces were not aligned at all well. If you try to use the later round seal you may have to replace your exh manifolds with ones having a chamfer for it.

Twin exhaust from manifolds to tailpipes.
Should I use a tube based sealant in addition to the gaskets?

Nope, new gaskets properly fitted to clean surfaces is all you need. Try and source/use BRONZE manifold nuts, with brass a second choice if you can’t find bronze, but definitely not steel

Might be hard to find nuts in Sweden, the thread is 3/8"-24 UNF. Maybe try one of the UK sources.

I did it yesteday. Took about an hour, using several tools. Brass nuts were about 8 yrs old. One stud came out but I separeated it from the nut, in my work bench vice
Nice and quiet now

1 Like