Exhaust insulation plate under left floor of XK120

Can anyone give the measurements for the plate under the LH floor to insulate it from the exhaust system? I’d be interested to hear what material people may have used (presumably the original-type asbestos is no longer acceptable!). Perhaps it is even available from some parts supplier?

One of MANY products…

Chris:

I used a product similar to the one Paul refers to and covered the floors, firewall and transmission tunnel. Not as original (and messy!) as the original horsehair stuff, but it does a great job of keeping the heat down in the cockpit. Afterwards all you have to worry about is the sun beating down. :wink:

Chris.

1 Like

Thanks, Paul and Chris. I’ve heard good things about this stuff. Probably will use it on the trans cover, maybe firewall too. However, in this climate you’re often glad of a little warmth coming through from the engine!
However, I’m looking to place a solid sheet of a modern equivalent (calcium silicate?) in the same position as the original, so it would be nice to know the exact dimensions and placement if someone has done something similar…

Chris

enclosed picture of the template I used for mine while replacing floors recently. Had a asbestos (?) panel in place and I added an aluminium plate of same size ; off cut from a local stock holder cut to size for £10 (UKP)

That’s brilliant Brendan! Are the 140mm and 270mm sides parallel to each other?
Thanks,
Chris

Yes mate, sorry is upside down …Doh!

Chris,

There are nowadays materials available that replace the older asbestos containing sheets as used by Jaguar. It is a ceramic board similar to the old material apart from the asbestos fibres that have e.g. been replaced by aluminum oxide fibres or other (non hazardous) mineral fibres. I found this material for my XK 140 at a local company active in building fire places, but I guess you’ll find them in other areas like industrial ovens etc. You can safely saw the material to size. I guess this comes closest to the original material.
Sorry but cannot help you with the dimensions: XK 140 is different. .

Bob K.

1 Like

Morning Chris. Sorry, cant help with exhaust insulation. Just wondered if you will be attending the Jaguar festival at Blenheim Palace on Sunday 12th May.

If you are, I’ll look out for you.
Cheers Phil.

That sounds like a very good plan, Phil. I’ll look forward to meeting you!
Chris

Thanks Bob - looks a lovely job!
Chris