Exhaust 'note' question on a Mark 2 3.4

It’s a 1967 Mark 2 3.4. Engine was completely rebuilt 50,000 miles ago when I purchased the car back in 1989, car has always had regular oil changes over the years. For the past few years I’ve noticed, for lack of a better description, a louder exhaust note when the engine RPM hovers between 2400 and 2600 RPM. Engine idles well, runs well, but it’s almost as though there is a ‘sympathetic vibration’ note between those two RPMs only. Should I be concerned, or is this perhaps just an exhaust note at those RPM perhaps related to the exhaust system? Perhaps someone here has the answer, as I’m completely ‘baffled’ by this. Thanks.
Mel R.

Mine has a wonderful drone at 4200 rpm, and at 2800 too. And at ~1200.
Do you have a dual exhaust? These are famous for droning when the distance between exhaust tips and the frequency match.
I drove a nice E Type that sounded best at 2500 rpm and again higher up. Plus induction noise. If it sounds like the exhaust it is. No need for concern!

Thanks David. One more thing I forgot to mention is,after I’ve been driving more than 30 minutes the volume of the sound is a bit lower. I wonder if the twin exhaust pipe may be a factor. Just a thought.

Maybe the engine gets richer as it warms up, maybe the exhaust gets softer as it warms up. Possibly both? Lean sounds a bit sharper and a warmer exhaust could sound just a little bit nicer.

1 Like

Maybe the car is telling you it’s happy that you have fixed the power steering?!:laughing:

Perhaps, well within the range of possibilities

1 Like

Love the sound of mine :grin:

1 Like

Music to my ears

Here’s my 3.4 Man OD

Tim

2 Likes

Nothing like a Jag six!