Exhaust note with stainless exhaust

Im told that the stainless exhaust changes the exhaust note from the original mild steel can anyone comment
Cheers. Jim

I have observed that on other cars and thus went with plain steel for my E-Type mufflers.

I think part of the reason may be that for stainless a thinner gauge is used (because they can I suppose).

If you want a great sound with stainless …. Go for classic fabs system out of Scotland Uk…. Standard system sounds very very nice and the system goes together without issues …. Much heavier than my bell system on another car …. But I think stainless must be $’s by weight !……. It is superb though

SS imparts a ‘ting ting’ tone to the exhaust note, not as round a sound as mild steel.

If it’s a issue of harmonics, I wonder if the tone could be changed by putting some sound damping material like Dynamat Extreme on the muffler casing.

I don’t know if the material would last due to the heat and weather exposure, but I’d just want to know if that could change the tone.

Dave

T’would be an interesting experiment.

I wrapped my mufflers with insulating material from DEI. Aluminum exterior with fiber facing. No change in sound but should help with heat transfer. My car is very cool as far as radiated heat is concerned.
Glenn

1 Like

You really need to hear the classic fab exhaust to think is that mild steel?

Dunno: never heard one.

I’ll record it soon and not tell which cars they are off and we can have a what exhaust system is that competition :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Pending Danny’s comparo you can have a listen to the Classic Fabs system in this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiwx44X7UqE

Sounds good. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have the straight thru classic fabs exhaust on my 67 FHC, and it sounds great.

Yea… sounds good!

That said, recordings on anything less than decent recording devices–cell phones dont count!–are going to be difficult to differentiate.

I have a friend with a Classic Fabs exhaust on his V12 E Type. After driving behind him for the last two years on rallies I’m getting one for the car I’m restoring now. It sounds great.

I have a stainless system on my series 2 69. Not the classic fabs but it does have a nice , mellow rumble. Not quite what my F puts out in AE mode, but very acceptable.

1 Like

I think a denser material would be a better choice

Hi was told s/s being harder it does not absorb the exhaust sound like mild steel, hope this helps.

Then using depleted uranium as a wrap might not work? :wink::joy:

1 Like

Thks all who responded ,confirms what I’ve heard.
The classics fabs example sounds stock to me but what do I know, you need to hear them together . Suppose it’s like rock music some like it some don’t . I take it that some are mixing stainless pipes with mild steel mufflers

Cheers. Jim

1 Like

I never drove my car with stock exhaust. I installed the stainless Tourist Trophy exhaust from Moss. I’ve covered a whopping 14 miles and I’d say it’s not very loud. I suppose I’d say it’s subdued but not quiet. I’m happy with it. It fit perfectly.

1 Like