Exhaust pipe shield

Quick question gentleman …

Has anyone ever cut off the shield that surrounds the exhaust pipe (number 12 on the picture) ?

It appears to be fastened onto the pipe by a pinch at either end and Im getting a bit of a rattle in that area. Im curious if it’s actually connected to the pipe anywhere else along it’s length.

Grooveman, Can you put the auto on a lift,or on ramps, and get underneath to get at the shield? If so, and with exhaust cold, shake the shield around to see it rattles. If it does, perhaps several hard yanks on the shield will give some deflection and clearance from the pipe. Which way to yank is the ? Trial and error. Suggest not cut off the shield. SD

A ball pein hammer can ‘dimple’ the shield in strategic places to eliminate the rattle.
Sometimes you can jam washers or metal shims into ‘loose’ areas.

bob

Thanks for the replies …

Actually I have been underneath the car and one end of the heat shield seems solid. The other end however rattles when I bang on it.

Bob, I did in fact take a small ball peen hammer and try to tap in the end . But because of the access (or lack thereof) I wasn’t very successful.

I’m almost positive that’s where the slight rattle is coming from because once the exhaust heats up the noise goes away,

Since the pipe is stainless and the heat shield I assume isn’t that would prevent me from putting a small weld between them.

How about stuffing some asbestos (yikes!) or better still, fibreglass cloth in between the shield and the muffler? If you poke enough in there using an old screwdriver or something, that would end the rattle, wouldn’t it?:slightly_smiling_face:

Larry …

Asbestos !! Are you trying to give me the … cough … wheez … the black lung ?

(Oh wait that’s coal mining … never mind.)

Any filler/rod which is for Stainless will also stick to POS (Plain Old Steel). If you have a torch or TIG then Silver braze should do the trick.

If you can get a large stainless hose clamp all around it perhaps tightening down on it will prevent the rattle. Worth a try and totally reversible.

Thanks guys for all the great input …

John, I like your SS clamp idea and I’m going to try that first.

If that doesn’t work out I’ll take andrew’s advice and weld a couple of tacks between the pipe and shield.