Exhaust sound Mark IX, mufflers

One of the ads for the Mark VII describe the car as having a “pleasantly schizoid personality” - the “dignity of a limousine with the dash of a sports car”.

I have driven the Mark 9 for a thousand miles over the past two years and have contemplated the loud tone of the OEM mufflers. Last year, I toned them down with resonators. Still, I cannot make this big car perform like a sports car. This fine car is much better at show than go. People appreciate the style, not the performance. When I am enveloped by the plush leather and visually treated to the matched veneer walnut, and am enjoying the ride of the 196"x75" wheelbase, the drone and sometimes rasp of the wonderful 3.8L XK engine is confusing. Is it a luxury or sports car?
When I put my foot into it, no one is surprised. When I try to keep up with a little MG in the twisties, the tires complain, the body rolls, and disc brakes work hard.
No, I have decided to refine this old lady a little more. Having to cut out a perfectly good OEM exhaust to mount my new 4L60E transmission, I asked my local shop for “quiet mufflers”. He did a masterful work of installation at about $600.
Now, she is more RR, Bentley-esque than E-type. There is tone at full throttle, but just a quiet pleasant hum at cruise. What was an continuous drone on long cruises is now a barely noticeable internal combustion bmmmm.
Now I have a pair of OEM mufflers and pipes leaning against my shop wall, almost new, here in SW Missouri, USA (If you are interested)
What I am saying, is that I cured at least one case of schizophrenia.
She is a demure, yet powerful, elegant lady, capable and impressive in her old age. Reminds me of the Queen Mum.
Dana, automotive psychologist

I agree on your desire for a RR like exhaust noise on the Mk9, and I have one.
But the other noise emitter are the window frames against the body. Fine up to 50mph but then the noisr begind. Opening a vent window or two helps but I wish I could get a premium modern car spec when it comes to sound insulation.