Exhaust variances between S1 and S2?

I used these. They weren’t new, it’s another set of parts I’ve accumulated over the years. I think I had to use one new band clamp from XK’s:

1 Like

Thanks, I haven’t seen those new for years.

Here are ones for 1.75" tubing.

https://www.denniskirk.com/khrome-werks/1-75-in-stainless-steel-exhaust-clamp-203030.p4407134.prd/4407134.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=csecid=12208520361&aid=121022591230&keyword=1186149419484%3A%3Apla-1186149419484&kid=1186149419484&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvYSEBhDjARIsAJMn0lgbIinvDjxMrTvJOJfN9Lhj5FSbqOBFEQams38-BXd_wS2DySVlQgcaAhfdEALw_wcB

1 Like

They’re still available. Mercedes still uses them:

2 Likes

My brand new SS from SNG/BELL is 1-3/4” OD.

Also, FWIW, trying to close these pipes for a gas tight seal without using the traditional ugly U-shaped clamps is futile IMO, unless you first make the typical slits either side of the pipe.

I about broke the fancy new good looking clamps trying to make said gas tight seal, even using sealer.

Try the clamps I linked in my post. They’re strong enough to close, but gentle enough not to completely crush the pipes.

This is what I put on the '63 FHC from SNGB. 304 SS by Bell and their quality clamps. I thought the clamps were quite good. Am I to now believe this is going to go, “fffttt phfttt, ffftt” when it finally fires up? Unless I use different clamps?

1 Like

Well, very quickly, telltale black streaks will answer the question.

I had a '49 Chevy that did that. Didn’t like it then, won’t now either. Will the type of clamps that Mike used be a better choice?

Pinching the pipes together is almost always a better way to seal the exhaust.

That said, if you used some kind of paste and the things tightened enough, they might work.

On final assembly I plan to use a sealant. On my last project I used all ball flanges. Nary a leak with them and easy to disassemble.

Ball flanges are amazing devices.

1 Like

In my opinion, you will have leaks unless you provide slits either side of the outside pipe at the joins. That slot allows the use of the good clamps to pinch the inner pipe and with sealant, make a good seal. Again, just my view and only for the hard SS system.

Hi Les. This exhaust system has slits in the outer pipe at all the joints. You can see them in some of the pics. This exhaust is one of the few things that installed easily in my Jag without my having to get on my knees and pay homage to the E-type as an idol.

2 Likes

I did find these 1.75" slip joint clamps, though I will probably go with the ones Michael Frank mentioned.

FWIW, the ones on the Jeep show no signs of bypass leakage, and I used no sealant.

I wound up buying those profusion ones, the shipping on the ARS ones was almost double the price of the clamps!

Keep us posted as to effectiveness.

Where can I purchase these?

I think @Michael_Frank has a contact.

1 Like