Expansion Tank - or coolant leak

Y’know, you can get a brass cap for a garden hose connector. I dunno if you can get the entire tee in brass, but it wouldn’t surprise me. For sure you could go into Home Depot and put together a brass tee and a garden hose fitting, although it might look like a bodge when you’re done.

I like the aluminum thingie you found, though.

1 Like

Yes indeed.
A very good idea (not mine) is to change the hose from the header tank to the atmospheric tank with a transparent hose, like on Dave’s picture.
As long as it’s green and full of coolant you know your system is full without having to open any cap and introducing air into the system.

2 Likes

Thought about that, but the difference between plastic and brass threads, i thought they could either loosen up or the brass could mess up the plastic threads.

Yeah, i like that aluminum bleeder, should get it next week.

I also like Daves/Aristides idea of clear tubing.

I had a premonition of something like this happening when i installed original bleeder tee. Buying a $4 part for a Jaguar is never a good idea!

Greg, this is just for you. Sorry, couldn’t resist!

2 Likes

Beautiful! You give me something to aim for! :slight_smile:

That part is, however, designed for exactly this application. I can’t help it if it’s a cheap POS.

1 Like

If you search for this part, there seems to be only one supplier, they all seem identical.

That’s just down right vicious :rofl:

I spent some time looking for some grease or something out of place or crooked. Nothing!!! :frowning:

Now, show Greg the “BEFORE” picture!

1 Like

Here it is, Wiggs- tearing things apart for new radiator. Etc, Etc, Etc, Etc.2014

There… that should give @gregma hope!

I’m thinking we need to have a V-12 off.
Bob Brackney has a pretty cleaned up engine bay.
Not to steal his thunder let’s see if he posts a picture.

Doh, high whirring noise is back, and I think it has to do with transmission? Its above 2500rpm in all gears, and changes pitch on rpm, not air intake.

Actually, just checked, the temporary cap on my flush tee is leaking pretty bad again. The coolant is falling on back/right of engine and dripping from torque converter housing, could it be getting into torque converter making a whirring noise? Noise didnt happen earlier this morning, until leak returned this afternoon.

Gonna just wait until i have new port tee installed.

Ok, finally got in new bleed tee. Works nice! Simple big screwdriver, only loosen a bit to expose bleeding channels in threads. I was short about 1/2 gallon.

Also, high pitched hum is gone at high rpm. Talking to friend, was probably small leak from old cap, whistling like musical instrument.

3 Likes

Damn, high pitched noise is back, I verified it’s NOT from coolant leak or new intake funnels. Pretty sure it’s transmission. Only starts happening after about 20 minutes of driving, once transmission gets overheated, that’s why I thought it went away before. I’ll start a new thread.

1 Like