Expansion valve replacement in a S1 XJ

This is the third valve I have helped or installed in a S1. I removed the glove box side of the dash and the dash top. That gives access to the actual valve and the right hand side. The long capillary tube runs from the valve to the other side of the top of the evaporator…mine is LHD in case this does not make sense to overseas cars.

Take off left side of dash wood, holding the speedo and tach gives the best access to the bulb side… removing the holding clamp for the large loom that runs vertical allows it to be shoved aside for the needed access.

We are experimenting with a different valve rated for R134 this time that has a larger bulb and can be adapted to the S1 flare fitting on the evaporator. Will come back and post the part numbers later…

The only worse job is replacing the heater matrix/core…since all this removal and more has to be done to gain access.

Car is back now with highly modified expansion valve (again). Valve itself (Part 208-116 on the Invoice) but it has 101128 R34 R on top of the valve?..has to be installed with a flare adapter. The larger capillary tube below the round top piece is lengthened with a piece of the old valves tubing… silver soldered together… The other side has a small coiled tube as the more common large tubes will not fit… It has to screw in like the original valve.

This valve is for R134… just have to put the dash parts, glove box side and tach and speedo and dash pad back on that I took off for the shop to have the needed access.

High side pressure was 200/low side 30… today outside air temp is 75F and I saw 40F at the left side vent on High speed fan (it gets colder on the lower speed). This is with modern GM fans that are more powerful than the stock Jaguar fans. I only drove the car a few miles with the AC… it is very comfortable. I usually see 38-40+ degrees of cooling with the car with the AC on and driving.