Experimental louvers

temporarily installed louvre panels that are same base size as the ones ordered… instead of cutting a large hole I drilled 3 so that the webs in-between give strength to the sheet metal. these louvers go the long way… others to go the short way… as I said these are interim… painted edges of cut and installed with 3m tape . the better stronger tape… boy did the hot air roll out after shutdown… why did the xke have raised hood and louvers and not the xjs… form follows function… the basic rule for all invention … marked outline with stabilo pencil… checked measurements… put board under hood and a tarp… pilot holes then 2-1/4" hole saw…

Presumably this shows the underside of the hood. What does the topside look like?

that’s the top with drawn outline and the other pic is with louvre taped in place… this is until I get the better ones… I just wanted to get holes cut and prepare.

here’s a picture with only one side done

1 Like

as far as it has gone it seems to work… it really lets the hot air out and I’m satisfied with that result… I also got to pondering what to do when I wash the car… going to put refrigerator magnets on an upside down plastic pan when I wash.

1 Like

Weld a drip pan on the underside so the water can run off to a safe spot? Could double as reinforcement.

Get some “Waterless” car wash. Comes in a spray-bottle. Stay home if it rains.

2 Likes

What allows air to exit when the car isn’t moving may well not do so at speed, but most likely that doesn’t matter. Pressure varies along the top of the hood from low towards the nose to high close to the screen.

2 Likes

someone said it looks like James Bond is parked outside…

3 Likes

You can do some fair backyard aero testing with pieces of yarn taped in places and watch how they behave at different speeds. Sounds silly but it does sorta work. I think you’d mainly want to be sure it’s not dumping air into them at speed, but I’m not sure if that would even be a problem at normal speeds?

1 Like

you know I think just for fun I’m going to try the “wind tunnel test” with the yarn

1 Like

It actually works quite well: when I was converting older Formulas Vee to two forced-air cooling, rather than the fan, I would test with tufting around the body to find out the best place to put the scoops.

2 Likes