Expert encounter at a Show ‘n’ Shine

They are characterised as “Cruise Night Lawyers”, the gentlemen who assume the noble task of pointing out all the ways in which your car is wrong. This latest one is worth sharing.

Fellow circles ‘round the car two, maybe three, times - I confess to not paying too much attention - when he interrupts a conversation I’m having with a Mk2 Tiger owner to tell me my car is a “North American model” because the rear bumper blades extend all the way to the wheel well when UK models had much, much shorter rear bumper blades because of stricter regulations.

I suggested otherwise, saying helpfully that I’ve owned the car for 36 years. His reply, as he walked away, was “Well then, you’ve been wrong for 36 years”.

4 Likes

That’s a classic Nick. My usual retort to these types of “experts” is
“let’s go have a look at your car”

Cheers, Alan
1964 ots

2 Likes

What bollocks! We’ve got the All British Day coming up in Sydney end August. Expecting much the same “expert” commentary. Paul

1 Like

I think that expert must travel throughout North America as I have met him several times.

Brings to mind a poem I learned as a youth: allpoetry.com/The-Owl-Critic

9 Likes

I wish I could give that one two “likes”.

1 Like

Did he have an admiring spouse on his left arm, marveling at her man’s depth of knowledge of all things automotive?

Those are the one’s I love, the one that gleefully spew out erroneous facts to their unknowing and admiring women folk in an effort to look like an automotive genius.

2 Likes

Perfect ! Worth laminating and placing under the wipers…

1 Like

My father built a wooden sailing dinghy when I was a teen. The type was designed for DIY and Dad’s a methodical perfectionist with wood. He did an excellent job and all the sailing club members agreed. The only opinions that mattered to him were from those who had also built one and knew the joy and the pain of the many hundreds of hours that went into it.

I have heard the rudest comments about the Renault Caravelle that my wife inherited from her mother. I have also seen the delighted smiles and inquisitive exploration by newbies that same car attracted.

In sharing our vehicles for the public’s pleasure, we have to expect some fools. Just remember, 'tis they who have a problem and not us.

2 Likes

Yep: had someone do a similar, bemoaning and berating me about having swapped out the FAR superior V12 for a 120 engine.

:roll_eyes:

I’m not sure which ones are worse the guy with his girl or the guy with his buddy?
Cheers,
Lynn

1 Like

Im no longer nice about it: when some armchair expert, expound on something he/she clearly does not know WTF s/he are spewing, I just say, “$100. Put up or shut up.”

Drive a DKW. You will get MANY experts.

1 Like

I told one such…that the the entire car was a replica made mostly of VW and chevy truck parts…how did he miss that?..in front of his girlfriend…

4 Likes

The one I like the best is father and son walking past a series one E type and the father saying " there’s a V12 for yah "

Regards Gerry 62 Ots.

My response to that, “No it’s a double overhead cam straight six, the engine Jaguar won Le Mans with 5 times in the 50’s.”

Camshaft covers = Cylinder banks in the eyes of many. ergo a straight 6 DOHC is a V12.

At shows, I’d wander around, looking at other stuff, then, when approching Tweety, hear someone authoritatively muse on about how it was a V12: Id act dumb, and say, “Are there six more plug leads on the bottom?

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I had a nice chat with the owner of this “1969 Series 1.5 FHC”

2 Likes

I recall the saying ‘It takes two to have a tug-o-war… don’t pick up the rope’.

Sometimes all I can say is ‘Oh really?’.

1 Like

Absolutely. When he corrected me when I called it an S2, I said “Cool”. It’s a great car, if calling it an s1.5 makes him happy, who am I.

1 Like

I wonder what made him think he had a Series 1.5.