Exploding battery!

I had bought a battery for the clock in my Series 2 from one of the usuals about two years ago. I ended up having the clock fitted by Mike Eck with his digital conversion that uses a AA battery so I never mounted that battery in my clock.
I put the new battery into a tray on my desk next to my desktop computer where it has been for almost two years. This morning while I was on my computer the battery suddenly exploded with a loud bang and the battery carcass hit the ceiling before (fortunately) falling harmlessly to the floor. I’ve no idea why that happened. It’s been sitting in an air conditioned room all this time. I shudder to think of what damage might ensued if it had exploded while mounted inside the clock!
Below is a picture of what is left of the battery. Just wanted to let everyone know about this issue.

Chet

1 Like

Yikes!!

I’ve seen lead acids spontaneous explode, but never an alkaline batt.

I’ll second that yikes. That would have put a permanent crease in your seat if in car while driving.

Was it in direct sunlight?

Did you manage to capture the smoke?

2 Likes

As a second thought, it looks like it might still have been in its packaging, and if it just happened to be next to the computer exhaust port, maybe the captured heat might have done the trick??

Anything else in the tray that could have shorted the battery? A dead short could possibly get it hot enough to explode.

It was sitting in a brass tray on my desk. No direct sunlight. No heat coming from my computer. Air conditioned room. Items in the tray with it were paper clips, some paper money and some guitar pics.

Total mystery to me….

Brass tray + paper clips could create an electrical short across the battery causing this to occur. My best guess…

Those sound like likely suspects.

What was the battery’s voltage?

No idea. Those contents were basically the same for the past year. Guess I’ll never really know. But it sure was a loud bang!

Knickers all washed up?

:grimacing:

If the HANDS on the clock stick or bind up or the gear gunks up?
Can the battery heat up?
Creating a kind of friction ?
Naples see, if you ca move the hands of the clock?
gtjoey1314