External Door lock adjustment

Well I’ve spent 2 days trying to fix this using the new mechanism that stopped working……. Looked everywhere for YouTube the forum etc….no real clues ….in desperation I looked in the manual……oops there it was….however I’m still having great difficulty getting the long bit of the lock that comes out the end ….to do just that ….seems to get caught and just won’t align….any ideas ?

Not sure these links will help, bu offering it, in case…

https://www.inetogether.org/jaguar/060311.php

https://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=9901

Thanks Valerie….been to those already

Fixed at last ……what a buggerof a job all working well now …. I needed to fettle the slug a little to fit and not catch on the casting of the new handle ……hopefully fully tightened the locknut etc good positive action now …locks and everything it should do….will know how to fix next time !

I’m not sure what issue you were having. Is it refusing to lock or spontaneously locking? The issue I, and many others had is that it could spontaneously lock because a door closing would nudge the arm attached to the back of the cylinder just enough to move it to the latch position.

The spring link has to be at such a length that when in the unlatched position, it has some spring force keeping it there. Either the attachment hole or the actual length of the spring link needs to change if it isn’t correct. As you rotate the key, the locking mechanism should have a brisk spring action moving it from one position to the other, kind of like the heater box door slapping open and closed under the influence of that spring.

Erica ……my main problem was my own stupidity ……the external workings of the door ….well were not working! …press the button nothing ……turn the key ….nothing ……I made the assumption that it was probably something had fallen off …stripped the door down and realised it was in the mechanism itself….now comes the dumb bit …… my misunderstanding of how the lock actually worked ….because I couldn’t get the slug to come out thetop of the rear to engage with push lever… there were 2 reasons for that: the slug was getting stuck in the casting and not protruding as designed and this resulted in being unable to go through the lever and end cap … it wasn’t until I read the manual correctly and fettled the slug so it could extend out fully that I was then able to tighten the lock nut correctly against the slug end ……after that all I needed to do was get the length of the “push screw” correct and retighten the lock nut …connect the spring bar to the locking mechanism ….and bingo!

2 Likes