External Rear View Mirror`

(John Testrake) #21

“I love the gold and white side wals, where did you find these tires? they’re awesome.”

Thanks Mark,
They’re Vogues. The number one choice of pimps and gangsters. Back in the day, you could get them at urban Cadillac dealerships. I got them online.
https://www.voguetyre.com/products/tires

(Paul Wigton) #22

No pricing on their website: I can only imagine!

(Robert Wilkinson) #23

They were a big thing in Texas in my youth…a status symbol amongst the Cadillac-driving crowd of meta-rednecks. Steer horns on the bonnet were on their way out by then.

(Paul Wigton) #24

“meta rednecks:” love it!!!

(Jochen Glöckner) #25

John,

as long as you’re the fastest under way you don’t have to - and that’s probably why you went for that “12”:wink:

Enjoy your beautiful car!

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

(JAY COOLE) #26

these do look suspiciously like xjs mirrors… https://www.google.com/search?q=1971+amc+side+view+mirror&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS796US796&oq=1971+amc+side+view+mirror&aqs=chrome..69i57.14425j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

i think wing mirrors would be the way to go/more euro looking. would like to put wing mirrors on my '71 xj6

(Mark Lee (Pay Pal Patron)) #27

Vogue Tyres have been around for ever. they are / were an option on my Mum’s Cadillac. My Dad said NO WAY!; it had to do with the whole Pimp & Gangster thing. LOL.

(Mark Lee (Pay Pal Patron)) #28

These Mirrors were shared with many of the B. L. Monster siblings. You’ll find these mirrors (the ones in the link from @JAY_COOLE) Specifically the Triumphs; There is one on my (well two but…) XJ6 SWB Series II and what looks like a JC Whitney catalog knock off on the passenger side.

(Jochen Glöckner) #29

Sorry, Robert, no insult intended …

My own list of defects starts with the lumbar spine which every couple of years really gives me hell …

Of course, if your vertebrae are fixed you’ll have stopped to work as a contortionist and the idea of a camera-fed screen is more than self-evident.

I’ve spent maybe one night checking them out: You can fix the camera in the number plate frame, control and feed it with the power from the back up lights and use USB data transfer to the head unit.

DIN sized head units are available and perform as radio, navsat and camera screen. They are available with an extractable 7" screen and seem to perform quite well. The downside is that the mechanism will not protrude far enough to circumvene the lower dashboard edge on our cars. Pulling the entire head unit forward will foul the gear lever I suppose.

Good luck though

Jochen

(Robert Wilkinson) #30

Thanks, Jochen. I agree that the viewing screen seems to be the problem. I have no room for a DIN radio, either. I wonder if using a cellphone, on top of the dash pad, is a possibility. I used to put a GPS there. Screen might not be big enough, though.

(Jochen Glöckner) #31

For navsat I use a gooseneck vacuum holder fixed to the windscreen - very easy to oversee and with the auto gearbox the power wire dangling to the cigar lighter socket isn’t even overly annoying … Today you can use your smartphone for that purpose. Maybe there are apps permitting to operate remote cameras (think of baby surveillance purposes) from the smartphone as well. Then you’d have to turn on the screen manually, however.

There might be car radio head units you can hide underneath the seat permitting to drive an external screen via Bluetooth. Still you’d have to live with the power wire feeding the screen.

For trucks and RVs there are also camera-only systems, but they are pretty ugly …

For the moment it remains something to be left for future technical development …

Good luck

Jochen

(Greg) #33

This was my solution to rear view camera and modern stereo. I kept original in dash and tried to keep the new unit hidden. My other objective was to not destroy center console so I could always go back to original.

(Frank Andersen) #34

It would not be my solution, Greg - you have to take your eye from the rear view mirrors to view the reverse camera. Not all reversing hazards are straight behind…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

(Aristides Balanos) #35

Very neat installation Greg !!
and do the center vents work ? very “cool” indeed !
Aristides

(Greg) #36

Yes, the vents work. I re-routed the back seat center vents since they were in the way of this install anyway. It also gives more AC airflow to me. I rarely have backseat riders any ways.

(Greg) #37

Frank, all back-up camera viewing screens require you to take your eyes off the mirrors. Its used in conjunction with the mirrors. Quite frankly the main reason for the install was for a modern head unit with Carplay and other connectivity options. Your mirrors obviously have huge blind spots which is why people back over children and other things.

(Greg) #38

I also re-purposed the original in-dash knobs. The tuner knob is now my sub-woofer amplitude adjust and the volume is a switchable ground necessary for video functions while not in park. (for the back seat only of course)

(Greg) #39

Frank, if you look at the pictures you will see I installed a passenger side rear-view mirror too.

(Lou) #40

Greg: A really first calls installation!

Below is a method of setting the outside rear view mirrors I use for good manual view of what is behind me when driving.

The recent discussion regarding rear view cameras was on my mind this weekend, as my wife and I drove 120 miles, almost exclusively on major highways, to be with family for the the holiday. The long drive, all of which is at high speed (for the USA) reminded me how much I appreciate the mirror settings on our car.

I first heard about the settings on a USA radio program called “Car Talk” hosted by the Maglozzi brothers, Tom and Ray, affection lay know as the Tappet Brothers. The two ran, and Ray may still run, a auto repair shop in Boston, Massachusetts, USA . Ray deceased a few years ago. I believe that both were graduates of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

I don’t recall the question that caused Ray, to share his now famous method of setting up the three rear view mirrors on his vehicle. But it is the system I have used for a number of year, which goes as follows.

The inside rear view mirror is set so that the driver looks straight back through the rear window. The two outside mirrors are nominally set to see the two lanes of traffic on either side of the car. The driven vehicle is not visible in the outside mirrors. The following specific setting for the two outside mirrors are the key to this method.

The outside mirrors are set so that as a vehicle overtakes the driven vehicle, and disappears from the inside rear view mirror, it simultaneously appears (with a slight overlap) in one of the two outside mirror. Further, as the passing vehicle disappears from the outside mirror, it appears, (with some overlap) in the driver’s line of vision in the side window. As a result, an overtaking vehicle is ALWAS IN view from a great distance back, until it passes.

If the driverI frequently checks the mirrors, he/she knows what vehicles are behind and if one is moving to overtake.

I find the system, which takes some getting used to, to give me much more information about the traffic around the driven vehicle.

Regards
Lou

(Robin O'Connor) #41

I set the mirrors this way.
With my head touching the driver door window I adjust the D/s until I can just lose the side of the car.
Move my head to almost the C/L of the car and ditto the passenger mirror.
Job done.