External Rear View Mirror`

(John Testrake) #21

“I love the gold and white side wals, where did you find these tires? they’re awesome.”

Thanks Mark,
They’re Vogues. The number one choice of pimps and gangsters. Back in the day, you could get them at urban Cadillac dealerships. I got them online.
https://www.voguetyre.com/products/tires

(Paul Wigton) #22

No pricing on their website: I can only imagine!

(Robert Wilkinson) #23

They were a big thing in Texas in my youth…a status symbol amongst the Cadillac-driving crowd of meta-rednecks. Steer horns on the bonnet were on their way out by then.

(Paul Wigton) #24

“meta rednecks:” love it!!!

(Jochen Glöckner) #25

John,

as long as you’re the fastest under way you don’t have to - and that’s probably why you went for that “12”:wink:

Enjoy your beautiful car!

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

(JAY COOLE) #26

these do look suspiciously like xjs mirrors… https://www.google.com/search?q=1971+amc+side+view+mirror&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS796US796&oq=1971+amc+side+view+mirror&aqs=chrome..69i57.14425j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

i think wing mirrors would be the way to go/more euro looking. would like to put wing mirrors on my '71 xj6

(Mark Lee (Pay Pal Patron)) #27

Vogue Tyres have been around for ever. they are / were an option on my Mum’s Cadillac. My Dad said NO WAY!; it had to do with the whole Pimp & Gangster thing. LOL.

(Mark Lee (Pay Pal Patron)) #28

These Mirrors were shared with many of the B. L. Monster siblings. You’ll find these mirrors (the ones in the link from @JAY_COOLE) Specifically the Triumphs; There is one on my (well two but…) XJ6 SWB Series II and what looks like a JC Whitney catalog knock off on the passenger side.

(Jochen Glöckner) #29

Sorry, Robert, no insult intended …

My own list of defects starts with the lumbar spine which every couple of years really gives me hell …

Of course, if your vertebrae are fixed you’ll have stopped to work as a contortionist and the idea of a camera-fed screen is more than self-evident.

I’ve spent maybe one night checking them out: You can fix the camera in the number plate frame, control and feed it with the power from the back up lights and use USB data transfer to the head unit.

DIN sized head units are available and perform as radio, navsat and camera screen. They are available with an extractable 7" screen and seem to perform quite well. The downside is that the mechanism will not protrude far enough to circumvene the lower dashboard edge on our cars. Pulling the entire head unit forward will foul the gear lever I suppose.

Good luck though

Jochen

(Robert Wilkinson) #30

Thanks, Jochen. I agree that the viewing screen seems to be the problem. I have no room for a DIN radio, either. I wonder if using a cellphone, on top of the dash pad, is a possibility. I used to put a GPS there. Screen might not be big enough, though.

(Jochen Glöckner) #31

For navsat I use a gooseneck vacuum holder fixed to the windscreen - very easy to oversee and with the auto gearbox the power wire dangling to the cigar lighter socket isn’t even overly annoying … Today you can use your smartphone for that purpose. Maybe there are apps permitting to operate remote cameras (think of baby surveillance purposes) from the smartphone as well. Then you’d have to turn on the screen manually, however.

There might be car radio head units you can hide underneath the seat permitting to drive an external screen via Bluetooth. Still you’d have to live with the power wire feeding the screen.

For trucks and RVs there are also camera-only systems, but they are pretty ugly …

For the moment it remains something to be left for future technical development …

Good luck

Jochen