Facelift Headlamp Jet Washer Covers

OK, I’ve snagged all the large parts needed to repair the front end of my 1996 Jaguar XJS. It’s the little guys that are gonna kill me.

We all know the chrome headlamp jet washer covers are difficult to find. I am missing the passengers side cover. Is there an alternative way to make do without the covers? I know there are blades without holes for these washers, which are equally difficult to find. Has anyone else found a way to cover up the holes without it looking strange? I’m just wondering if there are any other solutions to this problem.

You could use the space for mounting driving lights.
I might actually have one side.
Don’t know which if I do.

Thanks but that would block the headlamps themselves.

Difficult is an understatement. It is impossible to find those chrome covers. I have been checking eBay for years (LHC7054AA and LHC7055AA) and nothing comes up.

For the listers that do not own a post-facelift, this is #2 on the part diagram:

Shamelessly lifted from:
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/LHC7054AA

I’d actually like to remove mine, since they don’t work properly anymore anyway (and I never used them). I posted earlier how whatever that little black plastic “ball” piece is that aims the stream (on the front of part #1 in the illustration, although mine is a face-lift model) somehow went AWOL on my left headlight washer. As a result, the water sprays in a copious stream straight up, like Old Faithful, draining the system in less than 10 applications. :angry: I’m thinking the odds of finding another “ball” in good shape are hopeless, and even if I found one don’t know if it can be r/red, or whether I would need to r/r the whole unit, which is a PITA involving pop rivets, apparently. Since now nothing seems to be coming out of the windshield jets, either, the only good out of the malfunction is, when driving at about 25-30 MPH and the wind blowing in the right direction, Old Faithful lands on my windshield, so I can clean it! :laughing:

Perhaps this is an area where improvisation is called for. Does anyone know of any nozzles from other cars that perhaps could be adapted to the XJ-S?

Not the nozzles Kirby. The covers are unobtanium.

Wouldn’t this be an idea project for someone that knows how to use a 3D printer?

Can you print chrome plating on a 3D printer? I’m guessing not. Would owners be happy with a black part instead?

Couldn’t you chrome that part? I know it’s not necessarily cheap, but right now there is no other option.

So, someone needs to 3D print a coupla dozen of these things and then send them out for chrome plating. Anyone up for a group purchase?

Is it easier to chrome plate metal than plastic? Can some 3D printers print metal? Would it be better to 3D print these things out of metal? Could they be 3D printed out of shiny metal, and skip the chrome plating?

BTW, is there a left and right? Or are both the same part?

And I still wanna know if similar parts from other cars might work. Jaguar isn’t the only car with headlight squirters.

Definitely a left and a right. As for the jets, I’m not sure, I’ll take a closer look at the ones I have to see if there are any distinguishing numbers or or manufacturers.

Are they chrome-plated, or, as with many such outer bits on older Jags, “polished stainless steel”?

They’re chrome finished plastic.

I would be interested in a group purchase - and I know a few guys who would also love to chip in.

If we wait long enough Jaguar Classic parts or SNGB may tool up for them.

Frankie

Like most everything Jaguar, the jets are unlike anything ever invented before.
As I recall, the jets are not ambidextrous and they incorporate a heater at the nozzle.

I reckon 3D printing is the way to go, and providing the original parts would save a lot of modeling time

“chrome” finish won’t be available from the print, but I’ve seen some spray on chrome finish which looked very good, even on complex part
iirc this was done by some sort of deposit, not standard paint, but it seems even easier now

https://www.pchrome.com/5-ways-can-turn-plastic-chrome/

I am up for group purchase

I need one also. Might have access to one of our printers. Would need a dimensional drawing to make this happen.