Facelift - I think I have an x300 Fuel Tank!

I’m going to try to replace all the hoses connected to the fuel tank in an effort to get rid of the fuel smell when I fill the car up. The smell stays bad until I’m somewhere about halfway empty, then then smell is just noticeable instead of overpowering.

Would anyone happen to know the sizes of the hoses I need? JDHT shows that two of the three hoses are available for purchase, I just don’t know if I’m buying a small section of a straight hose, which I’d buy at an auto parts store, or if the hoses have any bends.

1. EBC11357 - NLA
  2. EBC4642 - available
  3. EBC52021 - available
  4. (already ordered the gaiter CBC87033 and the o-ring CAC7509)

Just trying to have the necessary hose sizes available instead of starting the project and running around to the shops. I’m looking to follow advice here and purchase Gates Barricade hoses, which is available near me, just not conveniently near enough.

Thanks.

UPDATE: After removing the black rear panel in the trunk, revealing the fuel tank, it does not seem to look like what JDHT and eBay show as a 1995-1996 XJS, instead, it looks like an XJ6 fuel tank! The evaporative loss flange for an XJS should be NNA5955AA, what I have is NNA5954BA

Well, I got in there and I only found two small pieces of hose that could be changed.

First one connects the long metal vent line to the fuel filler assembly. You’ll need 3” (three inches) of hose. I used 3/8” gates barricade, but I think I need something smaller. I think 5/16” would have been better.

The other one connects from some kind of plastic vent part at the top of the fuel tank. Relatively easy to access once you get that metal plate out of the way! Here you’ll need a 1-1/2” piece of what seems like 3/8” or 5/16” that transitions to a 1/4” to connect to the metal pipe. What a pain. I’m wondering if I can heat up a 1/4” hose and use that for both ends.

I used 3/8” here too, hoping the clamp would seal it up. I’m still getting some fuel smells.

That plastic vent part seemed a little too loose for my liking. I’m wondering if that gasket needs to be replaced. Unfortunately I don’t think it’s sold separately.

Picture of the assembly after I replaced the 1-1/2” section. You can see I tried to force the hose clamp to squeeze down on that metal pipe as best I could, but I don’t think it’s enough.

These are the hoses I pulled off. Not OEM looking. I think I recognize these from a generic Advance Auto kit.

This is what then assembly looked like with the old hose off. That gap at the plastic vent has me suspicious.

Those are the wrong type clamps. Get some EFI clamps.

Will do. I’ve ordered these:https://www.amazon.com/SELIKOUR-Fuel-Injection-Style-Clamps/dp/B07G9GFXT7/ref=asc_df_B07G9GFXT7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343187880421&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3323247806067617955&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008162&hvtargid=pla-782405609934&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=69721953555&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343187880421&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3323247806067617955&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008162&hvtargid=pla-782405609934

The claps that were there were just plain old spring clamps.

Might just might be me, but I did not see the two different connections in your pics, I was trying to see the plastic vent connection that you mentioned.

OK, I have now confirmed that someone was indeed in there before me. The evaporative flange I have lines up with a 6.0 engine. For some reason that car has the same flange on JDHT that I seem to have. The good thing is that they still offer that sealing gasket, whereas the one for the flange that should be on my car is NLA. (Although I would have made one, had I known what the dimensions were.)

There is a dual branded black plastic valve (?) on this part. It is both Ford and Stant apparently. It is part #F6DC9B593AA in case anyone ever needs this info. It doesn’t appear to be available separately as that part number only pulls up this part for those who don’t know Jaguar’s flange assembly part number, NNA5954aa, or ab.

Went in an replaced that flange with a used one I picked up on eBay. I did replace the clamps…now to find out if the smell is resolved.

I also replaced the flange gasket with one I cut myself using a sheet of Viton I picked up. It’s slightly thicker than what I pulled out…

At this point, if I still have fuel smells when I fill the tank, it can only be the tank…which I am not looking forward to dealing with.

1 Like

Well….I replaced the evap assembly at the top of the tank, with all new Gates Barricade hoses… and I disconnected the Hose from the tank to the Rochester valve… and then filled up the tank.

The smell is back.

So the tank has got to be fixed or replaced. What is the best solution? This will be a summer project for me. This car is my daily driver, so I can’t pull the tank and then send it away for cleaning/repair. I’ll have to have the replacement solution on hand.

What would you do if you were me?

Have another tank rebuilt. I daily drive an XJS also, but certainly not the same XJS!

Who rebuilds tanks? Where would I find a place like that?

Thanks!

I used Moyer Fuel Tank in PA. http://www.gas-tank.com/

1 Like

Thank you for this. I will certainly look into this.