Failed log in problems

For the third time since I joined the new forum on Nov . 13th, the forum software has for some reason failed to recognize me as a registered member when I open the forum website. I get the message at the bottom of a post that I am reading which says something to the effect that it’s hoped that I’m enjoying browsing the form and why don’t I join as a member? I check the top header of online users and my avatar is not there, so I try to log in manually (rather than being logged in automatically as the old, outdated (?) forum did reliably) and after entering my user name (or on second try, my email address) and password, I get the message that either the username or email address or password is incorrect. Then, by clicking on “I forgot my password”, I am sent a link (which ends up in my spam folder) which allows me to reset my password. I use my same, original password and everything is hunky-dory for that session and maybe one or two future ones. Any idea what gives and how I can avoid this hassle in the future? I hope that this doesn’t come across as a gripe and I really do appreciate the work that Gunnar and the other administrators (Anthony Waugh) have done and continue to do to keep this great venue going. I just want to avoid this glitch when I access the forum. BTW, how do I go about sending a contribution check to help cover the expenses of the forum?

Hi,

Have you by any chance configured your browser to empty itself of cookies or stored passwords when you close it, or something like that?

I’ve had a look at the server logs, and I don’t see anything unusual, so the first thing that springs to my mind is that your browser is “forgetting” who you are between sessions.

Each browser and OS has various ways of remembering passwords, so I can’t provide a detailed answer unless I know what browser you are using (and I have that on one of my machines).

See here: