Fastener colours

Could someone tell me the correct finish for the general body fasteners, please? Luckily most of the original ‘Bees’ fasteners on my 140DHC came undone fairly readily, with only a few casualties. In non-critical areas (wing fasteners, body panels, dashboard/bulkhead areas) I plan to media blast them and reuse, but they all have enough surface rust to stop me from reliably identifying the original finish. Would it have been black, yellow cad or silver cad? I am aware of the problems around the cadmium finishes but have acceptable alternatives to hand.
Thanks!

The majority are black oxide… but be careful! some are just plain steel, a very few are cad1 there are also some which are red lead. All depends just how pedantic you want to be. make sure when you reinstall them that you return the bolts you took out to the same location… many have specific strength tolerances for their designed application. Another common mistake is to mix and match the heads. any judge worth their salt will catch you at it. For the most part the list in the back of the SPC is reasonably accurate. I would recommend you follow it.

Thanks Godfrey - I don’t do concours, but I’d like to get the general appearance reasonably close.

‘SPC’ = service parts catalogue?

close… spare parts catalogue. It only takes a little more time to do it right… even if you aren’t going to do concours… it is the little things which make the difference between a run of the mill restoration and a great restoration

Close enough, Spare Parts Catalogue.

Chassis fasteners with ANF threads on XK120, Mark V and early Mark VII have been found to be a thin red wash, even down into the threads. This was at a time when there were still a lot of black BSF thread fasteners around the factory. This red seems to have stopped later on, so you may or may not see it on a 140.

Black oxide only lasts a few years in a wet outdoor environment.
Silver cad seems to have been found in select places on 140.
Yellow cad has not been seen on 140.

Thanks chaps. Black oxide it is, for the most part - or a modern equivalent.