Fastener decoder

Does anyone know how to decode the size and type of screw P/N BD20092/2 and BD20092/6? I can decode the UFS.319/4H format but not the BDXXXXXX/X format. These screws are used for holding the tail lights to the body.

thanks,
Dave Christensen

PS. I think they are 10-32 slotted cheese head screws. /2 should mean 1/4" long but I think they need to be 3/8" long. /6 should indicate 3/4" long which is OK.

Those are just Jaguar part numbers. They were applied to “special” fasteners. The /x doesn’t denote length.

If you go top the SNGB site and search for the part number they will often have a description and a picture.

The hardcopy SNG catalog, at the back, has a cross reference for some of the BD fasteners, although it is not comprehensive, especially on the smaller stuff. I find it weird that Jaguar had to give specific part numbers to so many fasteners. Their naming convention seems like it would cover 90% of the applications.

As already indicated, these are “Special” part numbers from Jaguar, and as such do not follow any rules that would allow you to “decode” any aspect (eg the length in multiples of 1/8") of the part. As it happens, a simple search of the archives (try it some time) yielded a thread on those 2 specific parts:

Whether it gives the precise details you require, I don’t know, but it does at least give you the lengths, and head type.

I did start with a search on this forum. I screwed up and did not put the period in the part number for that search. I know it is there but none of the usuals use it so I ignore. On a general google search I found references for the /s screw length to be 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2". I am not quite sure what is correct. I was hoping that somewhere someone had a part number reference.

In Jaguar’s screw designations they call out fractional sizes for small screws - 7/64, 1/8, 5/32, and 3/16". I sort of get it - 7/64 is a #4, 1/8 is a #5, and 3/16 is a #10. What is a 5/32"???

As I understand it, when Jaguar used a standard form for parts such as SAE setscrews and bolts (eg UFS.319/4H) the digit after the “/” was the length measured in multiples of 1/8", or sometimes 1/16". However, when the part number was a “special” part (indicated with a part# C.xxxxx or BD.xxxxx) there was no rhyme or reason to the number after the “/” - it was simply a “variant index”. Each time the added a variant of the original part, they incremented the number after the “/” to signify a different variant of a somewhat similar part. So, BD20092/2 was probably the second part in that series, and BD20092/6 was the 6th. In this case, as indicated in the other thread I referenced, the /2 part is 1/2" long and the /6 part is 1" long according to the Parts Lists (I checked).

1 Like