Felt seal on stone-guard attachment

When dad installed the jie-normous NASCAR radiator, in Tweety, the original stone guard went bye-bye, mainly because the radiator extended further forward. The fan shroud disappeared into history, too.

When I resto’d it, I wanted to install one, with fine screen door mesh, too: found one on either eBait, or someone here.

Given it had to be moved forward, I had to cut it in half—vertically— and section it (narrow it) back together.

Worked like a charm!

I located some felt seal that would work on my car, 1/2" thick, from SNG, but the only rivets I found were too short and I couldn’t be bothered holding up the bonnet work on the car for some silly bloody rivets, so I made my own…used some of the cheapo HF cotter pins and same HF cheapo washers, all of which I have hanging around the house in those cleverly assembled containers that hold a load of stuff in the wrong sizes and so rarely actually fit anything you need to fix!!.

Washers are about 1/4 - 3/8 across with a small hole enough for a 2" cotter pin. Slid the washer over the cotter pin, locked the assy in the vice and hammered the head of the pin flat against the washer. Made the required six in about 2 mins. Put a piece of tape on the felt, tape side down, offered it up to the guard, marked the locations of the holes on the tape, pushed a large finishing nail through said marks, inserted “rivets” removed tape and onto the guard it goes. Works like a charm. Nice to get something done without dumping an arm and a leg!

1 Like

Ah, Les…a old c**t (coot, ya buncha dirty bastids!!!) after my heart!!

Stay tuned for an upcoming post…

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but for archive purposes I thought I would add a couple of photos and a bit of info. These are from my very original and unmolested '68 2+2, which was produced in October of '67 and is one of the first 10 ‘Series 1.5’ 2+2s to come off the line. As you can see, it has the holes but no rivets. I have every reason to believe this felt is original, but of course there is no way to know that for certain.

Well, having read through the thread again, I HAVE to know Brad, how many holes used to hold the felt, are in your stoneguard?