Felt washers on accelerator pedal

What is the purpose of the two felt washers on the base of the accelerator pedal. I think they aid in keeping the fulcrum shaft lubricated but this would also soil the surrounding carpet. This is plate number 17-4 and part number C 3479. I had someone weld an extension to my pedal as the little wheel was over running the base plate and this caused the pedal to end up under the shaft coming from the firewall. I will get some pictures and let all know if this fix worked.

Gerard

I would say a combination of anti rattle and lubrication. They’re inside the bracket which is on the floor, so a drop or two of oil wouldn’t make it to the (bound edge) carpet, and even if the carpet tongue from the back did get some oil on it, it would be more or less invisible.

What do you think of the loopy fastener for the pivot? Somebody was really worried about the gas pedal sticking due to rust, methinks.

Again Rube Goldberg strikes with the complexity of the mechanism. I think a suspended pedal assembly would be better.

I will try to make some felt washers by hand as mine are tattered.

Gerard

Saved a few bucks and made the “felt” washers out of soft foam. Also to follow up on a previous topic, here is a video of the extension piece I had welded to the base of the accelerator pedal. You’ll recall my little wheel was overshooting the base causing the pedal to end up flat on the floor under the gas lever from the firewall.

Gerard