FHC exhaust downpipes on 2+2

Apologies if this has been asked before, actually I believe it has but cannot find it. So, with the 2+2 being 9" longer, is that extra length taken up in longer mufflers? Reason I ask is that I’d like to know whether the FHC downpipe will fit the 2+2 setup, without modification.

I believe the downpipes are the same: the extra length is in the horizontal bits.

Years ago I bought tube headers for my 2+2. They sent FHC headers that did not reach the mufflers. I bridged the distance with flex connectors. I’m not prepared to say all of the infamous 9 inches is in the down pipes, but certainly most of it is.

The resonators and intermediate pipes are the same for the 12+2 and FHC. Measure your mufflers from the end of the inlet pipes to the end of the outlet pipes and I’ll do the same on my FHC tomorrow and let you know. That will tell you if all the 9 inches is in the down pipes or if some is in the mufflers.

EDIT: I just measured my FHC’s mufflers. Overall length is 33 - 1/2 inches.

my series 1 2+2 exhaust measures approximately 72" from center of front down pipe to rear of resonator/silencer which is approximately 33" HTH. approximate measurements taken with components laying on the floor…

Thanks John, I’ll check and get back to you later…SNG measured the overall difference in length between the front pipe for a FHC and the front pipe on the 2+2…the 2+2 was just over 8 inches longer, so it looks like the difference in is the downpipes and not the mufflers, but as mentioned, I will check mine later as it will be another very useful data point.

Thank you Mr Phelps.

John,
Measured the mufflers…end of input pipe to end out output pipe is just about dead on 33"

Where did you get the flex pipe for your 2+2 exhaust and did you use the Std FHC downpipes in that exercise? If so, where did you get them?

I bought a pair of aftermarket tube headers made for a FHC/OTS. This was maybe 18 years ago so I have no idea of where.

The flex pipes were something like this, but clamp on. Again I don’t recall where I bought them, but many suppliers have them on line.

Learned a new thing, today!

The 2+2 silencers are 28 inches (swb 24 inches) the extra length is in link pipes and intermediate pipes.

My 2+2 silencers are 33"