FHC passenger window won’t go all the way up

So over the weekend I was able to install the outside wiper seals on both doors, WITHOUT taking the windows out. But now I have the classic situation of fixing one thing only to have something else go wrong. The window will only roll up about 1/3 the way. I thought I may have dropped one of the clips that hold the wiper seal on in the mechanism, but don’t see anything.

I tried to lift the window frame out, by undoing the two bolts on the bottom, and the six screws along the top, but it only lifts up a couple of inches. From what I can see by observing my other door, with the window lowered, winding moves the slide towards the rear of the frame, then stays there momentarily and it starts moving the slide back towards the front. On my passenger window, the winding mechanism stops just as the bottom slide gets to the rear edge of the frame, and wont make the reverse trip to continue lifting the window.

Any ideas what my problem might be, and how to fix it?

So in my effort to figure this out, I’ve pulled the frame, regulator and window itself out. I’ve found a few things that may be causing my problems.
1 The teeth on the regulator seemed to be binding, so I took a triangle file and dressed them, and followed it with a wire brush, and fresh grease.

2 I’ve noticed an angle in the frame, which I think is probably factory since the frame is a U channel and would be hard to bend accidentally.
Has anyone seen this angle/ bend in their cars?

There is square piece of metal with a large flat head screw that adjusts the travel limit of the window regulator. Maybe .75” square.

Marco, I thought I read that was only on open cars, as the FHC has a full frame to limit the travel?

That would make sense ( I have an OTS). I would still take a look in case the regulator was swapped. Things happen over the years…

Hi Bob.

The only thing I can think of is a screw or bolt is fouling the mechanism. Did you remove and then replace any fasteners prior to your first observing the problem?

Hi John. As you can see in the photos I have the mechanism out and on the workbench. The gears were definitely binding, and the dressing with a file has them running smooth again. I’m about to put it all back together but the bend in the frame has me scratching my head. Does that look right to you?

Did the window go up and down OK before you replaced the outer wipe? I honestly can’t recall if there is a bend in mine, but there probably is. Those frames are pretty stout and I doubt you bent is removing it. And, if the window worked before I’d assume the bend is there for a reason.

Edit: I just went down and looked at the window frame in my car. with the aid of a flashlight I was able to look down the rear vertical section; It’s bent as well, so I think you are good.

1 Like

Yes, it did. Seemed to work fine, but it’s passengers side so I don’t use it much. I think I’m good to go back together now. THANKS for the confirmation on the bend John. Sincerely appreciated.

The “bend” in the frame is correct? At least it is for my 2+2.

Hi Bob I did new seals in my door two yeas ago, in particular around the top and both sides. My window was a struggle to get to go the last third of the way up and down - so much so that eventually it pulled the glass out of it’s bottom channel. One day however I rolled the window up with the door open - no binding. I believe the issue is that with the new seals the frame was bending away from the top of the body. and this was causing the binding. Adjustment of the lower angle brackets to move the top of the frame out a small amount should fix it - if that’s the problem.

Thanks Terry, I’ll be sure to check for that once I put it all back together.