FHC rear window defogger: switched or unswitched?

Does anyone know if the rear window defogger has a switch? My '66 has a heated rear window—yes, from the factory—but I can’t find a switch for it. A switched circuit is indicated on the 4.2 wiring diagram, but nothing is listed in the parts manual and I’ve never seen one on a car.

So, here are some questions:
• Should there be a switch?
• If so, where should it be located?
• If not, is the heated element supposed to be ‘on’ all the time? (this seems like a dumb idea)
• Since the saloon cars also had heated rear windows, does anyone think there’s an issue with using those parts (toggle switch, indicator lamp, bezel)?

I’m finally getting the interior back together after decades of no upholstery, door panels, console, or rugs. The rest of the car is in very original condition (except the radio console frame got hacked up at some point in the late '60s). Any thoughts would be appreciated!

As far as I remember on my '65 there is no switch and it is on all the time.

Here is the switch on my RHD '67.

Early cars hot on key all the time
Later cars a switch

my '66

The switch/indicator light was introduced at car number 1E32609 (LHD), 1E21223 (RHD) - from Service Bulletin P.49 dated April 1966.

David,
So prior to 1E32609 the heated rear window, if so equipped, is on all the time with the ignition on ?
Jay

Yes current on constant’!
You can pull the wire at the glass end but stil runs hot
That was a goofy set up
You can online a toggle
Most I’ve seen a dead broke from year ago at the glass where it connects

Thanks, David, et al,

That explains a lot. My car is from February or March (1E21198) which is why no switch. I’m going to wire in a toggle and indicator lamp (using a bezel from a 420G). Almost all of my driving is in good weather so having the current constantly on makes little sense.

Edward

Well your in the damp in England 6 out of 7 days :slight_smile:
Good luck
gtjoey1314