Fibreglass Headlining for XJR6

I have just finished replacing the headlining (headliner) in my '95 XJR. Before attempting the job I searched the archives and found a number of write-ups on this job but no pictures, so I will attempt to add some pictures to this post describing what I did.

First off the centre console, sun visors, grab handles and edge trims were easy enough to remove. I only loosened the rear trims as these contain the courtesy lights in the C-pillars so these were left loosely in place.

Then the passender side front seat was removed entirely, and the drivers seat was moved fully forwards and reclined as far as it would go.

Next the headlining was released from its tabs on either side, the wiring for the intrusion sensors was disconnected and with a bit of wriggling the board was rotated 90 degrees so the cut-out for the overhead light unit could fit around the driver side B-pillar. See pics:

Next the headlining was pulled out of the passenger-side rear door. It needed to be bent quite a bit to get it out, but it sprung back into shape when out.

The intrusion sensors were transferred to the new headlining.
The new headlining is a GRP (fibreglass) reproduction item bought from Headliner World through ebay uk, for £200 delivered. The fabric is a perfect match for the original but my worry was that the backing being fibreglass is less flexible than the original. This prompted me to remove the rear door which turned out to be only a 10 minute job with no re-alignment issues as the door can be lifted off its hinges when the two 10mm bolts are removed along with the checkstrap and electrical connection.

This provides enough extra space to allow the new board to be wrestled through the door although it is not for the faint-hearted as the new board felt like it might be near to snapping point as I bent it far enough to go in. See pics:

There were no issues fitting the board back up and refitting the trims etc.
Headliner World also re-trimmed my overhead light console in the same material at no extra cost, and I am extremely happy with the finished result:

It should be mentioned that the suppliers recommend the rear screen be removed in order to fit the new board, but if you are prepared to take the risk the method described is a viable alternative.

here’s hoping the pictures upload ok…
Pete.

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post this item. It is much appreciated.