FILTER KING GLASS BOWL FUEL REGULATOR: which size best?

Filter King’s Fuel Pressure Regulator And Filters look awesome. They come in two flavors: 85mm and 67mm (glass or alloy). Which would work best in my 1968 2+2 e-type (which has its standard glass, 65mm I believe).

Thanks, Ari

Either size will work fine. However, unless using a pump that puts out more than 4 psi, you should not need a regulator.

Some cars (e.g. a Lotus 7) have the fuel bowl perilously close to the frame where a bad jolt may break it - the alloy bowl is great for those. But the E-Type’s fuel bowl location is well protected and I like a glass bowl so I can see what is going on.

Ari.

You win the prize for the most determined questioner here :smile:
I installed this one in my 1968:

I also purchase 3 or 4 replacement filters so am good to go for a while. As Wiggles says, probably not needed but something else to tinker with.

Make sure you buy one with a glass bowl. Some have a plastic bowl and mine leaked because of warpage. Had to buy a glass bowl to be sure there were no further leaks. You need the 67mm glass bowl version as the larger 85mm one will foul the bodywork as it it too long. You will also have difficulty removing the bowl!

Can I piggyback on this thread and ask for advice on the best way to replace the filter on the glass version? Do I simply remove the glass with a suitable receptacle underneath to catch whatever spillage there is or is it more complicated than that?

Chet

Yes its as simple as that…Steve

1 Like

Yay! Found something simple to do on my Jag! :grinning:
Thanks Steve.

Ha.Ha…not too fast…have you read up on filters…the glass bowl set up was designed so that any debris could be see outside the filter in the glass bowl…however most of the usual suppliers filters dont work correctly in the houseing…they collect the debris inside the filter so you cant see it in the bowl…they still work ok but something to read up on if you want to…Steve

1 Like

LOL…
So…does anyone sell the “right” filters?

Wix 33034

Thanks Bill! Just ordered two :grinning:

Actually, this is likely period correct:

I can verify this fits the stock glass filter bowl - I installed one earlier this year.

RobY

Thanks Mike, I didn’t realize the ‘Bundt cake’ was still available.

It appears one may clean and reuse that style?

Yes - the 'vette one Mike linked to is sintered bronze, and reusable.

It’s quite a bit heavier than the bundt cake one I removed from the E when I first got it. The “original” (?) one feels more like some type of ceramic filter element. I cleaned it well and it still may be good - I’m not really sure. It looked a little “off” even after cleaning so I replaced it with the bronze one.

Here’s the old one I’d removed:

RobY

I don’t think they were intended to be cleaned, but since they’re sintered bronze, it’s probably something you can do.

Ultrasonic cleaner, with laundry detergent, cleans them right up.

This photo made me dig thru all the parts the PO left me and it certainly appears to be the same unit.
It has a gasket on the outside and inside. However I question if something is missing because the overall height of the glass bowl is more than the filter itself and the spring is not long enough to keep it pressed against the housing.
It is light.
Marco

That’s normal. This filter, Delco GF124, was intended to be used in AC glass bowl filters. The filter head and associated filters weren’t a jaguar specific product, you’ll find them in everything from farm equipment to Corvettes made in the 1950’s and 60’s. The bowl in some vehicles is shorter, to accomodate space restrictions.

Interestingly, the filter head can be used backwards, ie with the inlet and outlet reversed. The filter used for those applications was GF149, and modern versions of that filter are what many vendors supply when you ask for an E-Type filter. When you use a reverse flow filter on an S1 or S2 E-Type, nothing awful happens…the dirt gets trapped in the inside of the filter and it’s fine. Except you can’t see the dirt through the sight glass. An original GF149 looks like this:

gf149

1 Like