Final Drive Speed Sensor help

Rear brakes locked up on my 93 4.0l convertible. heat caused damage to the speed sensor in the final drive and I am hoping someone with an extra or a parts car would be willing to sell it. Part number is DBC 11116. Really hoping to find one cheaper than the one at Coventry West. Thanks to all.

Update on the speed sensor. I found a brand new on available at Terrysjag.com. It was $142 plus shipping. I am talking with A.M_Tex_Terry_II about testing this item. I will be sending the damaged one to him and hopefully he can give us some guidelines on testing it and find out what actually goes wrong with them that affects the speedometer.

Dennis,
There have been posts on the Jag-Lovers XJ list from those who have successfully repaired the BW66 transmission mounted speedometer transducers in the Series III XJ6s. It seems to me that the failures were due to cracked solder joints, but I could be wrong about that. I have no idea if the differential mounted XJ-S speed sensors are the same technology but if they are similar a search of the archives for something like “transducer repair” should turn up some helpful information.

Paul

You are correct Paul, mine had exactly that issue, and was easily repaired.

Yeah, but this thread is about the final drive mounted sensor, is it not?

Yes, Kirby, you are correct. I found very little, if any, info on this sensor. Tex_Terry is having some trouble with his speedo and has asked for my old one in an effort to test it and see what may go wrong with them in an effort to investigate his problem. Will be sending it to him and hopefully he can post some insight into this item.

Bit of an update on IRS. I am in the process of rebuilding it and am replacing all brake parts and almost all the bearings and seals. As many have said this is not a really difficult thing to do.This forum and some online videos are an excellent source of help, as well as Kirby’s book.

Kirby,
Yes, the thread is about the XJ-S final drive speed sensor. I was pointing out that repairs to the XJ6 transmission mounted speed sensors have been successfully done. I have no idea if the technology is the same, but perhaps knowledge of those successful repairs might help with repairs to the XJ-S sensor.

Paul

Completely different, I believe.

There have been numerous reports of problems with that system in the past, and to the best of my knowledge every single one has been traced to the black box that processes that signal rather than to the sensor itself.

1 Like