Finally, after 15 years and some divagations... my XJ6

Robin,
I agree with you. The Series III XJ12s continued to be built for the world market for those buyers that preferred the Series III design and/or the V12. The XJ40 V12 wasn’t produced right away and once the V12 XJ40 was produced the Series III XJ12s became history.

Paul

Stock cars run Anti clockwise (try explaining that to the digital age :slight_smile: )
Of the three race tracks that I run on with Classic Trials, Pukekohe and Hampton Downs run Clockwise while Taupo runs Anti.

Right! 'twas the Series III XJ6, as I said, that ended in '87

I’m not sure if he still has one. I’ve lost track of his inventory. Last I heard it was an XKF, an X-type, and a Mk2

He’s still “around” :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

I knew about the long-run of the v12 models, also here. I checked my VIN from documents and I found something strange:

SAJJCALP4CC439801

According to the sources, the “C” letter means 1982 at least for US, maybe for EU there is a different code? And the chassis no 439801 seems to refer to 1985, but the car has been sold new on 01/1987 and seems strange to me that has been in store for over a year, considering that the badging and the details are the same described on the 1986 brochure that I have.

Right, different VIN conventions for USA cars (and possibly others). This causes great confusion. Whatever VIN decoder system you’re using has to be compatible with the VIN you’re trying to decode. A lot of Jaguar’s own tech literature does not take into account the USA system.

The ‘439801’ would fall into 1986 model year range for a USA car. But, ‘model year’ designations get fuzzy, as different markets assign model year designations differently.

For USA cars at least, 1986 model year began with 431604. Model year 1987 began with 461709. My model year 1987 Series III was 463xxx and built August 1986

I got a good chuckle about explaining clockwise to the digital age folks!!!

Most if not all race tracks in the USA are CCW.

Why? Not the slightest???

Carl

fitted with previous Canadian owner Gregory’s favorite Michelin narrow whitewalls, a fine accompaniment to the pepperpot wheels

This one was originally owned by Gregory Andrachuk before it was imported in to the US and ultimately sold to Paul… the lucky current owner.

and my 1987 model series 3 XJ6 was built in September 1986.The best thing about the car is, ironically, as it was built close to the end of series 3 XJ6 production, the folks at the factory finally got the paint quality right. While previous year models, 81-86,typically suffered from paint ‘crazing’. my '87 car, ‘crimson metallic’, still wears its original coat of paint nearly 23 years after it left the factory, with no crazing or rust to be found in the usual places

Complimenti !!! auto Fantastica …e una bella storia!

Federico