Fire extinguisher mount

Got her started - first try no less

Now I just have to wait for the giant airstream that is blocking her in to the storage unit to move :slight_smile:

I’ve suffered through two fuel leaks : (float bowl banjo) and fuel pump connection.

In both cases it was simply a matter of getting new fibre washers but it certainly got me thinking about potential fire hazards.

Just ordered one of these after reading old forum posts

My question is best way to mount (non destructive) and has anyone had any experience with this type of extinguisher?

It has occurred to me that in the event of an engine fire would be difficult if not impossible to get the bonnet open quickly to access the engine compartment…

Bill

I have one of these, the 50 second unit fits in console on the tunnel.
https://elementfire.com/

Marco

I keep a halotron extinguisher on the passenger floor sandwiched up against the trans tunnel with a heavy floor mat I have on top of the carpet. the nozzle end is towards the back and the floor mat holds it nicely in place. its not mounted and is a quick grab if needed. my concern was mostly an electrical fire in the dash, if its a major fuel fire under the bonnet I will give it my best attempt and then probably step back and just cry…

I have a 2.5 lbs Halotron in front of the drivers seat, same could be done in front of the passenger:

3 Likes

I have thought about this before and decided that prevention is the best approach.

I check my trunck a couple of times a year for gas smell and deal with that if needed. I find that using Loctite thread sealant or permatex hi tack on the fuel sender bolts etc works well.

Then every few years I renew the flexible gas line from the firewall to the carbs.

Lastly, I have the carb fuel overflow pipes extended down below the car so they overflow any fuel onto the road.

Dennis
69 OTS

Very clever, I really like it. I’m going to check how that location works
for me, and intend to follow suit.

Lot’s of discussion on Porsche and Ferrari boards about the Element
extinguisher.

Cheers, Happy Holiday; Easter, Passover, 420?
Alan

Nicely done!!!

Excellent mounting method, George. Going to start bending metal next time I’m in the garage!

1 Like

Nice clean installation, well thought and executed.

Marco

I am lazy I guess. I just let mine rest in the thin storage area behind the seat on the passenger side. it lays in there pretty snug and does not move around and I can reach back and grab it easily. Only thing is I cannot close the flip down panel unless I put the extinguisher on the floor. I guess this may only work on the FHC though.

First time I started my car when I brought it home and saw fuel pouring out of the rear carb due to a sunk float made me think fire extinguisher was a good idea. The protective piece of plywood between the fuel tank and me comes to mind too.

Best thing for electrical is to make it quick to be able to disconnect the battery. This saved my car from bad damage when smoke started pouring out of my ignition switch.

Dennis what are carb fuel overflow pipes you were able to extend ? Mine just comes out of the overflow hole or carb throat when a float sinks.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

I got mine right behind the front seats. I was able to recharge it with Halon.
Benny

What is the trick to a rapid disconnect for the battery? Is there a way to do it without having to fully open the bonnet?

You can put s ground interrupt switch in, as was done on Tweety.

Accessed from dashboard?

More likely under the dash as close as practical to the battery but still reachable (there will be a hefty cable involved).

I just leave the ground post close enough I can pull it off though I once discovered (on a TR) how hot that can get if a big short occurs (melted the starter cable).

Too high tech?