First real drive! Didn't go to plan! Ideas?

Rumor has it if all 4 fail you can jack the car up and the IRS stays on the floor. True? A brake line might hold it up briefly.

1 Like

Wow Jason! You must have a movie of my car since Iā€™ve had the same issues. I boiled the fluid due to the left caliper seizing. I replaced both with new pads and hoses. When you bleed them, read the book! They donā€™t bleed in a normal way!!

Rear mounts are going to require a good selection of drift pins and punches to line up all the different bolts. Leave them all loose until ALL are installed. You probably want to do all four.

I suggest you closely examine the radius arm bushings. Mine were as perished as the cage mounts.

Gordon

1 Like

Ya think?

Some opt for aftermarket poly for the smaller (rearward) radius arm bushing. And thereā€™s a choice of how to install the front one. There are two holes in the rubber, and the choice is whether to align those holes in line with the car or crossways. Jaguar themselves turned it 90 degrees for the Sportspak models.

1 Like

I ordered all 4 figuring all were probably bad. I thought about the radius arm bushings, but they donā€™t look horrible, and I plan on replacing them after I get it inspected. I know itā€™s not 100% the right way, but Iā€™m running out.of time quickly for the inspection lol

The prop shaft will help :slight_smile:

How? Doesnā€™t it just swing down as the IRS drops?

Actually, the exhaust pipes will probably catch it.

1 Like

Dosenā€™t it fit into the transmission so its going to be supported by the trans mount (slightly) and yes the exhaust pipes will until the rubber hangers shear.
edit, obviously had a senior/blonde/brain fart when I wrote this! Thinking as I was in bed DOH thereā€™s the front u/j :frowning:

Yeah with the prop shaft having universals I donā€™t think it would do anything. On the plus side I have a convertible so the cross bracing may hold it up for a while

What years started ABS systemā€¦can anyone break down timeline of the different brake systems usedā€¦(no pun intended)

Model year designations vary from country to country. ABS was a ā€œ1989 Model Yearā€ feature for USA market carsā€¦which means it started sometime during 1988 calendar year.

At the very end of XJS production (1995-96? I donā€™t remember exactly) the original Teves ABS system was replaced with a different typeā€¦the same type used on the X300 cars

Cheers
DD

Yes, my US model 1988 has no ABS. Plate on car says it was manufactured April 1987.

think Iā€™m making myself half sick trying to figure out what I want to do! Part of me wants to just fix the system as is and go with it, I have found that my pump runs with every push of the pedal, so my accumulator is probably shot. Drrrrrr. So thatā€™s another couple hundred to throw at it to see if that helps.
However, I donā€™t like the whole idea of if something like this happens again, I have no brakes! Iā€™ve had brake lines blow on other cars and it was much more manageable than this was!
I have seen that the xj6 setup is pretty much a straight swap, however when I look up parts, I see that they have the brake and gas pedal assembly as one, so apart from tearing it apart and reassembling it to fit, I donā€™t see how itā€™ll work right. Iā€™ve also seen about the teves 4 setup, but Iā€™m not sure if you then loose and function or not. Some threads alliterate that you only need the pedal box, booster and master cylinder, while others kinda make it sound like you need all that plus the pump, computer and brackets and such!
Sometimes I wish I was working on my older cars lol!

I personally will keep the brake system as is. I have done all four calipers, rotors, hoses and accumulator. If one looks back, I believe thousands of cars had this system installed. GM used it on some of the Buick/Cadillac line that Iā€™m aware of.

Have there been failures? Of course there has and Iā€™m one of them. It does not scare me once the system is brought up to speed. Old fluid, seized calipers, 25 year old hoses and pipes makes for an unreliable system. Iā€™d bet most of the failures are due to poor maintenance and on a car 25 years old that cannot be accepted.

It scared me when I lost my brakes. Once i calmed down and looked at it objectively, my system was possibly neglected. I revamped it to as new and have the belief it will work.

Does the guy your following with 10 ladders barely strapped to his truck make you nervous? There are all kinds of things on the road that can kill or maim us.

If anyone is afraid to drive the car in perfect condition, then sell it and buy a 2019 with every device to isolate you from the driving experience.

Gordon

1 Like

Lots of commonality there, but unfortunately the brake pedal housing isnā€™t one of them! The angle of the firewall attachment is different. To swap to either the pre-ABS or the Teves IV system, you must have a brake pedal housing from an XJ-S.

Actually, if you or someone you know can weld aluminum, you can probably make one ā€“ and the easiest way to make one might be to modify one from a saloon. It is a brake system, though, so make sure the welding is solid. Of course, the brake pedal housing for the Teves IV is plastic, so I guess it doesnā€™t need to be that solid.

BTW, while youā€™re comparing costs, check out the price for repairing that Teves III master cylinder if, heaven forbid, it needs service. That should point you toward the pre-ABS retrofit in short order.

1 Like

I just went ahead and ordered the left caliper and a new accumulator last night. So weā€™ll see how it goes. Hopefully I wonā€™t have to tell the wife it was for naught

Wives just donā€™t understand the process of investigation do they?:sunglasses:

1 Like

2nd drive today! Replaced both front calipers and pads, as well as new front brake hoses and of course the accumulator. I also replaced my rear sub frame mounts! Overall not a bad days work. My only concern is that, of course now it happens, the temp seems to be running higher than I would like. And by that, yes, itā€™s up pretty high. I guess Iā€™ll start with the thermostat and new coolant to see if that helps.

Just thinking about it, I donā€™t remember hearing my electric fan. Hmmmmmm

Did you have brakes?

Absolutely! They worked perfectly! I did some research and found found threads saying about hooking up the fan to the ac relay. I remembered seeing a wire and went to try. Sure enough, the fan started right up! On the downside, it was sitting for almost 3hrs and when I hit the switch my temp needle went all the way to the right! I mean parallel to the top of the dash! Now I donā€™t know if itā€™s actually that hot, or if my gauge is just faulty

Engine temp doesnā€™t move fast. Are you saying it moved fast? If so, sounds like an electrical fault.