First start setup for carbs

Hi all,

I’m almost at the point to give my rebuilt engine a first start. It’s the engine from a 150 along with matching HD6 twin carbs and crappy electrical starting carb.

I don’t have a 150 service manual so wondering if anyone could let me know what the settings are for the fast idle and mixture screws? I’ve already set them as per HD8 setup on an Etype. But there may be something specific for the HD6’s??

Also, any advice on adjusting the starting (hisser??) carb. The plunger needle is supported by a spring that is just about capable of holding its weight, so I’ve ordered a new spring in case it’s too weak.

Thanks.

That spring is supposed to be very weak. The magnet can’t lift the plunger if the spring is too strong. Note also the fiber washer to seal air leaks around the solenoid.
IMG_20190912_111254510

Mixture adjustment is by a hex nut at the top of the needle, and there should be a metal clip or spring that rides against the hex to prevent it moving with vibration. If you were to run it in winter you would adjust the mixture by moving the nut a bit upwards to make it richer than in summer.

It works very well for me to have a bypass switch under the dashboard to switch it on and off when I want.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info - really useful :+1:

I too am fitting a switch on the dash for the solenoid.

Cheers.