First warm up after fixing oil leak

It starts easily and seems to run nicely . I only have the down pipes of the old exhaust still fitted
There is pretty much Zero smoke from the back end .
I have not yet tried to tune anything . At a moderate speed I get anound 40 psi oil and 75 water . The rev counter doesn’t work and I guess it should , I don’t have any of the cars electrics connected .
I have done a hot compression test as picture below , what do you think ?

A bit on the rich side, perhaps - and you’re a tad over the 10% range on comp between 3 and 6, but nothing I’d worry hugely about

When I did my first cold test some moths ago No1 was half that of the others so I think the rings may have been gummed up , so may be when it is run in a bit more they may equalise a bit more ?

When you can, put in about 2-3 quarts of diesel/kerosene, in the oil, along with a new oil filter.

Run till good and hot—high idle— then dump, refill with oil and filter.

See whatcha get in the filter, then run the comp. test again: it might free up a stuck ring.

Thanks ,I will try that .

You could throw a eggcup of ATF in the spark plugs to attack the top rings as well.

Hi Jim,
Are you not planning on dismantling any of the engine for inspection? How long’s it been sitting, and in what conditions?

Hi Roger
I will probably take the sump off and check the crank and bearings and take it from there .Where it has been and for how long I don’t know

My personal preference is always for a strip down, especially if it’s completely unknown to me. I always like to get a chemiclean of the block and head water passages done to reduce the risk of overheating, and as that’s a bare block job I might as well get the bore mic out and check the bores, then check crank journals and so on. But hey, I enjoy working on engines!

My position, too: if the history is known, and the drainings and filter have little to no metallic content, it ofttimes can’t hurt to do a ‘sympathetic’ rclean/tune/run, to see if it’s at all serviceable.

I have tried the trick. 2lts of paraffin ( kerosene ) in the oil . It came out black , but nothing solid .