Fitting modern seats

Hi I’m new to this forum, I have a 1960 3.8 xk150 fhc , the standard seats I think are uncomfortable ,so I got new bucket seat type backs, still not comfortable , want to know has anyone fitted modern seats to one of these cars? thanks chris

Hi Chris:

I’m 6’ 2" and for the first few years I drove my XK120 DHC I removed the seat back and draped a folded car rug over the tool box in a desperate bid to gain some leg room. At one point I imported a pair of Corbeau racing bucket seats thinking this might be a good idea. The minute they were in position in the car I knew I had made the wrong decision. They quickly went down the road–much to the chagrin of the poor friend of mine who had struggled with them as ‘hand baggage’ on the plane back from the UK!

My solution was drastic and involved removing the tool chest and fabricating new metal, relocating the batteries and fitting a single in the boot, moving the seat tracks back, fitting a smaller diameter steering wheel and, finally, fitting a set of Bill Basset’s smaller ‘trick pedals’. I now have the legroom, but I am not sure I could physically undertake a cross country drive given my advancing years.

I think a certain degree of masochism is paramount when owing an XK, particularly the 120. I remember my amazement when I first drove a Corvette Split Window Coupe at how gorgeous the gearbox was compared to the agricultural nature of the Moss box. An interesting thing is that when I drove an XK150 on a 300 mile trip back in the early sixties I was impressed with how much more comfortable it was, as far as legroom and driving position was concerned, compared to my XK120. But for all it’s faults, every time I walk out into the garage and look at those beautiful lines I dismiss inconsequential things like archaic gearboxes, ridiculous ashtrays and things like creature comfort.

Best regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply, I know the 120s are cramped, but there is enough room in the 150 but after an hour the seats are uncomfortable, I have seen pictures of 150s with seats that look like late jaguar ones, I would of course keep the original seats to go with the car, but in the meantime I need more comfort. Chris

Hi Chris,
There is a good possibility that early Jaguar XJS seats might fit your XK150. If they do, they have quite a few advantages : 1 - they still are Jaguar seats 2-There are easy to find 3 - even though they definitely look more modern than original XK seats, they still retain a certain classic look that in my opinion will not clash too much in a 150 coupe. 4 - they are very comfortable and provide a better lateral support than the originals and 5 - they are reclining seats, a great improvement over XK seats for driving comfort. From past experience ( I am a professional upholsterer) I think they are narrow enough to fit in an XK, especially in a 150 which is about 4 inches wider than the earlier cars. The backrest is also thinner than the original seats, so they might provide an extra inch or 2 of legroom, always a good thing, when you’re 6.00 or over.

Thanks for your info Bernard, I will look into the XJS seats, I would keep original seats for the time I come to sell the car, as an upholsterer what’s your view on dying the seat seats if I cant get the red colour I want. ? thanks’ Chris

I have early xjs seats in my Xk150 FHC

I painted them in the right color to match the interrieur.
They are great, even after several hours in the car.

regards,
Peter Jan

1 Like

Hello Chris,
It is always possible to re-dye seats, and I have done it many times. But I am not a big fan of the process. Re-dying will only change the color and will not repair or even hide any creases or scratches that are almost sure to be present on older leather seats. But if you head that way, there are numerous products available on the market. I use SEM’s vinyl dye (even on leather). That’s what we used when I went to school 30 years ago and it has worked for me since. It comes in spray cans with a fairly wide choice of colors but you can also get a local paint shop that carries that brand to make an eye match to any existing color for which you give a sample. If you decide to go that way. please let me know and I will be glad to write a little “how to” tutorial for you. It is not complicated at all, but there are a few tricks to follow so the product doesn’t peel off just a few days after you applied it. I’m sure you have looked at Peter’s pictures of his 150FHC fitted with early XJs seats. In my opinion, that looks pretty fabulous, and if you go for non-original seats, this would be. I think, a very good choice.

Beautiful interior, Peter, and the XJS seats look quite “at home” in your XK 150. Bernard

Thanks for the pictures, its just what I needed to see, the seats look perfect , I will now look for a pair for my car. thanks again. Chris