Fitting rear trans bearing- 1966 E-type

The Jaguar transmission requires rear mainshaft bearing “tap fit” on the shaft. The stock shaft OD is 1.3755. The original stock bearing ID is 1.375. It is a .0005 interference fit. Original bearings are no longer available. The closest one is Japanese KSM RMS11-NR. Its bearing ID is 1.3745. It is .0005 tighter than an original which I have. It is not a tap fit. As the trans is assembled, this bearing should tap onto the mainshaft in the case.
Anyone tried to hone the ID of a bearing?

I would think a brake cylinder hone might work with a light oil for lubrication.
Dennis

Another forum said connecting rod honing machine. I tried the brake hone- no change

If what you are trying to do is enlarge the hole in the inner race of the bearing I suspect you will struggle as the material is hardened.

Your options are either to press the bearing on or to try to decrease the shaft size by 0.0005", which isn’t going to be easy unless you have access to a lathe and you are skilled in it’s use.

I know the better machine shops are able to grind the internal and external diameters of automotive bearings. This is the way I would go. FWIW

Yeah if it were me I can get that done, but trying to resize a bearing with a brake hone is going to be a slow process :slight_smile: