Fitting s clamp on passenger side door mirror

I just received a Moss Motors clamp on door mirror part number 37-0928 :-
I don’t see how this can fit on the car. If I install it on the drain channel then the door won’t open since the mirror fouls it. I don’t know how to install it on the window surround with interfering with the window glass going up and down.
Has anyone successfully installed one of these on an E type?

Yes. Mine works well. I needed help from @Erica_Moss who has one and fortunately lives in town. The U-shaped bracket (needs slight modification, see below) that everything connects to slips behind the rubber window channel and this still allows enough room for the glass to move up and down. The U-shaped bracket needs a bit of the inside (grub screw side) ground away so it slips further into the channel. Make sure to use the plastic insert on the outside of the window chrome to keep from marring the frame. As you noticed, DO NOT mount it to the drip rail as that will indeed result in fouling with the window frame.

–Drew

1 Like

Here is a photo -

I’m glad this came up. I’m planning to add a right side clamp on mirror to my car but I couldn’t figure out how it was to be mounted.

I’d prefer a ride side mirror out on the right fender (we had an MGB-GT with one when I was a kid) but I can’t bring myself to drill any holes in my car.

[DrewScherz]
Which side do you mean?

I agree, I couldn’t drill into the body for a mirror. I bought a pair from Fosseway as at the time, they were the only supplier that sold convex (wide angle) mirrors, instead of the flat mirrors.

Also, I would suggest you buy an extra set of mounting hardware as I striped one of the screws. They take quite a bit of force to tighten. This resulted in having to pay very high shipping to get a small replacement part.

The side marked by your red arrow. The rear edge on that side needs to be ground down a bit to fit further back in between the rubber window channel and the window frame.

Drew, I think I see what you mean. Grind the rear so that it is more “U” shaped that “V” shaped:-
But I don’t think that this will solve my problem. The metal thickness of the part that fits between the window rubber seal and the metal window frame is too thick. So it pushes the rubber seal inwards and then there is not enough gap between the inner and outer rubbers to allow the window to slip through. Hence I think that the whole part that fits between the window seal and the frame needs to be made about half as thick as it is. This will of course weaken it but apart from locally cutting the rubber seal away I can’t see what else to do… other than return the whole thing to Moss Motors of course!

Not the inside of the U. Grind away some of the edge that protrudes into the channel. This allows the U to slide further into the channel. It looks like there will not be enough room for the window to slide past the bracket since it pushes in the rubber channel, but on mine there was enough.

Drew, Unfortunately on my car when the mirror is fitted the window is very stiff to move. I don’t see how I can relieve this other than (a) cutting away the rubber seal where it passes over the clamp which I am loathed to do or (b) thinning the clamp thickness but this risks making the clamp too flimsy. Since I think that this mirror is essential for safety, particularly on freeways, I am going to keep it on and just refrain from opening the window unless really necessary. It’s most unfortunate and I caution other E type owners that this could also be a problem for them to.
Stuart

Instead of mounting the mirror on the lower portion of the window, you may try mounting the mirror up high, on the upper portion of the window channel as it may have more space.

Just ordered the convex mirror from Fosseway.
Thanks!!

Hmm. I didn’t have that problem. Yes, thinning the metal might not be the best approach. Bummer.

I modified the mounting bracketry to have the “U” facing aft. It takes some cutting and welding in a spacer. Described in this thread (photos in post #17 Where to mount bullet mirrors? - E-Type - Jag-lovers Forums

Eric That is a bloody good idea. I will try it
Stuart

Eric I made a bracket up similar to yours using a bit of square section channel I bought at Home Depo.
I am not a competent enough welder to do what you did. The section section works fine
Stuart