Fitting the front bumpers

I am fitting the front bumpers prior to final body work. when properly fitted is the gap between the bottom edge and body wider than the gap at the top edge which gets the rubber. This would have the effect of causing the over rider leading edge to be more vertical and the blade would be more flat. I do have the wedge shaped spacers. I am sure from my questions you can tell I have never taken off or installed these before. thanks all
Cheers Jim

Bumper mounting arrangement changed somewhat from the earlier cars to my “open headlight variant Series 1” but I expect the answer will be the same. Top gap is about 1/4", bottom gap is about 3/4".

Getting the top gap even along the bonnet line so that the black rubber seal sits right is important. During a full restoration it is advisable to fit the bumpers and grind the top edge to follow the bonnet contour before sending them out for replating, though you can regardless grind the top edge of a replated bumper if you exercise care not to generate too much heat then paint the ground edge to keep it from rusting. The seal will cover over the ground edge.

Thanks Nick, that is just the kind of info I was looking for. After 4 full days of fitting, cutting, welding, shimming, fitting chrome, dis-assembly, re-assembly, wings off,adjust flange angle, wings on (4 times), I am getting pretty close. Who was it that asked what is the most difficult job during a e-type restoration? Well, you can guess what my opinion is. Thanks again, Cheers Jim